#51 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationRoom 101, Ministry of Love

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

While I am unfamiliar with the specifics of the stories discussed by Madea, the poor performance of some ATF I.A. Agents should not surprise anyone. For years, many in the Agency have questioned the skills of our I.A. Agents, and complained that their investigations were flawed and often retaliatory in nature. Why does ATF Mgt. still believe that in order to be in I.A., one must have served as a GS14 Group Supervisor for several years. Many "real" police agencies staff I.A. units with top Senior Investigators who are not in management. These are the Investigators who have honed their skills to perfection. Many Police agencies also select I.A. Investigators that are recommended by Prosecutors based on their integrity and courtroom prowess. Again, our Agency does not follow the industry standard. Instead, we promote GS14's to I.A. who haven't worked an investigation in years and may not have been good investigators at all during their careers. Grade level should have no bearing on who is selected to an I.A. Agent position.

I'm not bashing I.A. as much as I am faulting the ATF promotion policy in general. When you have an agency that promotes managers based on social and demographic reasons instead of merit the outcome will generally be bad. How does a complete dud as an Agent suddenly score well on the Assessment Center and wind up as a Group Supervisor or a Program Manager? For years, Public Affairs, ESF13 and other hideouts were the dumping ground for these folks to get their GS14 status. This promotion policy is responsible for most of the calamities that our agency has experienced over the last 10 + years. The common denominator of which is poor and misguided leadership. Wake up call to management, you can't make chicken salad with chicken s%!t.

#52 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

TECHNICALITY MY ASS! Madea is tired of hearing that Brandon HAD to bring Crenshaw back because of a technicality. If there had been a technicality, Tom could have sent the case back to the PRB or even back to I.A. to further investigate. READ the manual orders Tom. And hey folks, it’s not as if ATF had a deadline. One agent sat at home for 4 years.

If this due process technicality were even close to being true, then explain to me why it wasn’t a problem when I.A. intentionally pulled an agent’s statement from his investigation. The reason given for the intentional act was that I.A. didn’t like a paragraph the agent included in his statement. I.A. ADMITTED they intentionally took out the statement and then LIED about the reason. And folks, when this same agent, through his own efforts, found evidence to prove the allegations against him were false, he asked I.A. to investigate these LIARS. Well, these LIARS happened to be managers. And, the esteemed head of the OPRSO has REFUSED to open an investigation on the managers. Why? Because the agent, not the managers, is now retired. Forget the fact that the request for the investigation was made WELL before the agent retired. Ok, wouldn’t that be a due process technicality Tom? Now, the report went to the PRB with no statement from the agent. But don’t worry folks, this I.A. agent littered the report with HER interpretation of what the agent said. Tom, do you see a problem here? PRB proposed a 30 day suspension and DEMOTION. The agent was a supervisor. Now that went to the deciding official who was told what I.A. did with the agent’s statement. The BDO, Steve Mathis, had no problem with what happened. Nope, not a big deal. It didn’t stop him from giving the agent 14 days off, not at all.

Now let’s look at another recent case. We have one agent who received an I.A. investigation that was so bad that he spent the year he was sitting at home investigating his own case. He came up with sworn statements that cleared him. When he tried to give it to the BDO, Elaine Smith, she said it was “TOO LATE”. Is this a due process problem Tom? Knowing the disaster that Elaine Smith was, do you feel compelled to reverse any of her decisions Tom? And now there are even more agents who are investigating their own cases because of the crap reports prepared by I.A.

So hey folks, stop buying into this B.S.! Crenshaw had no technicality. He had an investigation. Was it crap? Yeah probably. So was everyone else’s. Did Crenshaw get a proposal letter? Yeah. We think it was delivered to him by two of his buddies. They sat around with their SES decoder rings and came up with a secret message from HQ, ‘don’t sweat it’ (Crenshaw came up with ‘don’t sweet it’, but there were two other SESers there to give him the right answer). And finally, Crenshaw got a decision letter. Show me where there is a technicality violation. I see preferential treatment.

Folks, stop believing this crap. Every year agents are fired, and trust me, ATF doesn’t care about their rights, if they did, you would be allowed to bring your attorney to the I.A. interview.

Think about that folks before you give Tom Brandon a pass on Crenshaw.

#53 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Doc, I'm sorry, I think you've got that wrong. Prosecution is not on the table. Tom chose to handle this administratively and not at the U.S. Attorney's office. I can't give him a minute. Only God knows which manager he'll clear next.

Well here ya go Doc, we gave Tom a nanosecond and he cleared Horace. Give him a MINUTE? Hell, he might figure out how to bring Vanessa McLemore back.

#54 Guest_leaderofthetards_*

Guest_leaderofthetards_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Horace is right back in place. I guess we can have the "Horace Standard" now too Tom? Oh yeah, I see the FAAP panel had an impact. The panel members weren't back home from D.C. good before ATF sent out a big 'F-you panel' and 'F-you field'.

And stay tuned.....more to come shortly that will show everyone what our new leadership thinks about the field.

You can't make this shit up.

#55 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Tom, it's Valentine's Day if you haven't noticed. You've had the first package for two weeks now. She told the truth. This one is easy. You cleared kelvin Crenshaw of some very serious charges in about the same amount of time. In the short time it took you to send out your warm and fuzzy email to the field, you could have cleared this simple matter up. Why don't you send the troops a long awaited for Valentine and clear this employee, otherwise it just looks like more of the same crap Tom.

Tom, haven't heard from you on package #1 yet. St. Patrick's day is this week. Do you remember Tom what St. Patrick is known for? If you don't, he's known for driving out the snakes. OK folks, whether or not you're a catholic, I think it's time for all of you to say a quick prayer to our boy St. Patrick and see if he can drive the snakes out of HQ.

#56 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

To All:
In an attempt to consolidate posts and make the site more user friendly, we have tried to narrow the number of topics. Please make every effort to find an existing topic which most matches your concerns and issues that need addressing.

I find this personally offensive as a woman and as someone who had her life turned upside down because she refused to have sex with an ATF SAC who was a sadistic and notorious sexual harasser with a long history of complaints against him. When women file these kinds of frivolous complaints, it demeans all true victims of sexual harassment. It also places men in a position where they feel the need to walk on eggshells around female co-workers, which negatively effects all women in the workplace. I think I find this as harmful and as offensive as the act of sexual harassment itself. And ATF removed this guy out of supervision? For THAT? Wow.

#57 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Regarding ‘The Crenshaw Standard’: apparently the ATF Orders will have to be amended. In 2008 the PRB issued a proposal to demote a group supervisor. The specification cited was, “inappropriate behavior as a supervisor”. The PRB cited ATF O 2130.1, “Conduct and Accountability”. I bet there’s a few agents who are surprised that there’s actually an ‘Accountability’ section in the Orders. Here’s what ATF cited, “Managers and Supervisors are expected to serve as role models for all bureau employees and, by their actions, set standards for appropriate behavior.....”. The Proposal Letter goes on to say that “professional integrity and character are core expectations of public service”.

Now folks, the actions of this supervisor involved having a non-sexual nickname for his secretary and telling a female agent that she spilled coffee on her blouse. So here’s Madea’s lesson for the day.....if you see a female employee with food all over her blouse, don’t say anything, you could get demoted. If she wants to sit at work looking like a pig, just let her sit there looking like a pig. It’s not worth going through what this employee experienced.

Now you know what the supervisor was accused of. The letter goes on to say, “they (his actions) are particularly contrary to what is expected of a supervisor functioning as a role model and leader in the workplace. YOUR ACTIONS ARE CONTRARY TO THE SMOOTH AND EFFICIENT RUNNING OF THE __________ OFFICE. FOR THIS REASON, A PROPOSED DEMOTION TO A NON-SUPERVISORY GS-1811-13 POSITION IS WARRANTED”.

This letter was not issued to Bill Newell. It was not issued to Dewey Webb. Nor was it issued to Rudy Garcia or any other despicable creatures that have been promoted to supervisor. And, it certainly wasn’t issued to Kelvin Crenshaw. Why the change in standard Tom? It appears that the only time the Orders are used is when they go against the field Tom. It’s time to demote Newell, Hoover, Voth, Gillette, etc. You’ve got the standard Tom. Use it fairly.

I find this personally offensive as a woman and as someone who had her life turned upside down because she refused to have sex with an ATF SAC who was a sadistic and notorious sexual harasser with a long history of complaints against him. When women file these kinds of frivolous complaints, it demeans all true victims of sexual harassment. It also places men in a position where they feel the need to walk on eggshells around female co-workers, which negatively effects all women in the workplace. I think I find this as harmful and as offensive as the act of sexual harassment itself. And ATF removed this guy out of supervision? For THAT? Wow.

#58 Retired and loving it

Retired and loving it

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

The letter goes on to say, “they (his actions) are particularly contrary to what is expected of a supervisor functioning as a role model and leader in the workplace. YOUR ACTIONS ARE CONTRARY TO THE SMOOTH AND EFFICIENT RUNNING OF THE __________ OFFICE. FOR THIS REASON, A PROPOSED DEMOTION TO A NON-SUPERVISORY GS-1811-13 POSITION IS WARRANTED”.

This letter was not issued to Bill Newell. It was not issued to Dewey Webb. Nor was it issued to Rudy Garcia or any other despicable creatures that have been promoted to supervisor. And, it certainly wasn’t issued to Kelvin Crenshaw. Why the change in standard Tom? It appears that the only time the Orders are used is when they go against the field Tom. It’s time to demote Newell, Hoover, Voth, Gillette, etc. You’ve got the standard Tom. Use it fairly.

Madea, you are wrong about it being time to demote these guys. It is way, way PAST time to demote them!

#59 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Regarding ‘The Crenshaw Standard’: apparently the ATF Orders will have to be amended. In 2008 the PRB issued a proposal to demote a group supervisor. The specification cited was, “inappropriate behavior as a supervisor”. The PRB cited ATF O 2130.1, “Conduct and Accountability”. I bet there’s a few agents who are surprised that there’s actually an ‘Accountability’ section in the Orders. Here’s what ATF cited, “Managers and Supervisors are expected to serve as role models for all bureau employees and, by their actions, set standards for appropriate behavior.....”. The Proposal Letter goes on to say that “professional integrity and character are core expectations of public service”.

Now folks, the actions of this supervisor involved having a non-sexual nickname for his secretary and telling a female agent that she spilled coffee on her blouse. So here’s Madea’s lesson for the day.....if you see a female employee with food all over her blouse, don’t say anything, you could get demoted. If she wants to sit at work looking like a pig, just let her sit there looking like a pig. It’s not worth going through what this employee experienced.

Now you know what the supervisor was accused of. The letter goes on to say, “they (his actions) are particularly contrary to what is expected of a supervisor functioning as a role model and leader in the workplace. YOUR ACTIONS ARE CONTRARY TO THE SMOOTH AND EFFICIENT RUNNING OF THE __________ OFFICE. FOR THIS REASON, A PROPOSED DEMOTION TO A NON-SUPERVISORY GS-1811-13 POSITION IS WARRANTED”.

#60 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Tom, it has come to our attention that one of your agents has been sitting at home with a letter of termination and he has a charge of misuse of government property. Apparently he is accused of misusing his government cell phone. Now Tom, what kind of cost is this to the American public compared to parking your personal cars in a government parking place in Chicago like Winfred Larry Ford did? All of us who have lived in a major city know Larry Ford saved a WHOLE lot of money by doing that. He has has the benefit of NOT being investigated for it so of course he has a clean jacket. For those of you who may say, “how old is this violation?”, let me quiet your concerns for Larry getting a fair shake. Recently an agent was returned to duty after months of waiting to be fired. One of the charges brought against him was 8 years old. So again folks, I’m just asking that the same standard be applied to the managers that is applied to the agents. I’m not trying to be unreasonable or vindictive. I just want the agents treated fairly. Tom, we still want an investigation and if Larry paid for the parking places, then I will apologize. But I want my investigation. And please do not send Gwen Golden as we don’t want anymore ‘due process technicalities’. You’ll hear more about Gwen shortly Tom.....

#61 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Just wanted to say congratulations to the two agents who received a decision from Mr. Brandon.

Mr. Brandon: Please don't forget about the rest of us waiting for a decision. If I felt that my case would not be decided favorably, I wouldn't be on this site or appealing to you. Rather, I would hope that the BDO would just lose my case in the shuffle and I could sit at home and get paid for as long as possible.

I want to get back to work for the ATF and be a part of the change we all believe originates with you. I never realized how much your mental health, marriage, and relationships can suffer when you are in a state of not knowing what your employment future holds. I realize it now. It's taking alot of strength to get up everyday and face the wife and kids with a smile on my face and a positive outlook when I have no certainty of when I will hear anything. The neighbors have started to ask where my GOV is, and I just don't have the heart to tell them that it's been taken, along with my badge and gun. Worse yet is the phone calls for assistance from the locals who do not know that I'm at home pending the BDO decision. They are asking for the help I used to give them and I just tell them that I'm on a detail right now and can't help. That's what me and my Supervisor came up with because he believes in my case and believes I will still be employed when all is said and done. But worst of all, was when my oldest child asked me why I went to work wearing jogging pants. See, she leaves for school seeing me dressed in jogging pants and when she comes home I'm still wearing the same clothes.

I don't want to worry my children with this uncertain situation, but I'm gonna have to tell them soon that Im not going back to work for a while. My wife will probably find the most diplomatic way to tell them. As for the neighbors and the local law enforcement, I guess they will have to be kept in the dark for a little longer.

Mr. Brandon, today in church we talked about what type of leader the Bible wants us to have here on earth. It's a leader with "moral courage". That means a leader with the courage to do what is right, no matter what the consequences may be. It means doing the right thing when the right thing isn't popular or when the right thing has traditionally been overlooked. When the preacher was talking about that, I couldn't help but think of you. I believe you know what is the right thing to do to rebuild this agency. Its those things you tell yourself when you're in the car alone. Those things that you would do if nobody would get mad or if nobody would stop liking you. I believe that in your mind you have a plan that if implemented would turn things around like a tornado. What you would lose most likely, is the approval of some administrative staff in HQ, but what you would win is twofold; a place in ATF history where people could recall that disparate treatment ended and employees began to love the ATF again, and secondly the admiration and respect of the field agent who promotes the services of ATF everyday and has no idea where HQ is located in DC.

Alot of employees are looking for a lot of different things from you, but all of these wants can be summed up by two words. Moral courage. I know that by you possessing moral courage, the right decisions, moves, etc. will be done.

Amen Hilltopper and God bless you.

#62 Hilltopper

Hilltopper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Just wanted to say congratulations to the two agents who received a decision from Mr. Brandon.

Mr. Brandon: Please don't forget about the rest of us waiting for a decision. If I felt that my case would not be decided favorably, I wouldn't be on this site or appealing to you. Rather, I would hope that the BDO would just lose my case in the shuffle and I could sit at home and get paid for as long as possible.

I want to get back to work for the ATF and be a part of the change we all believe originates with you. I never realized how much your mental health, marriage, and relationships can suffer when you are in a state of not knowing what your employment future holds. I realize it now. It's taking alot of strength to get up everyday and face the wife and kids with a smile on my face and a positive outlook when I have no certainty of when I will hear anything. The neighbors have started to ask where my GOV is, and I just don't have the heart to tell them that it's been taken, along with my badge and gun. Worse yet is the phone calls for assistance from the locals who do not know that I'm at home pending the BDO decision. They are asking for the help I used to give them and I just tell them that I'm on a detail right now and can't help. That's what me and my Supervisor came up with because he believes in my case and believes I will still be employed when all is said and done. But worst of all, was when my oldest child asked me why I went to work wearing jogging pants. See, she leaves for school seeing me dressed in jogging pants and when she comes home I'm still wearing the same clothes.

I don't want to worry my children with this uncertain situation, but I'm gonna have to tell them soon that Im not going back to work for a while. My wife will probably find the most diplomatic way to tell them. As for the neighbors and the local law enforcement, I guess they will have to be kept in the dark for a little longer.

Mr. Brandon, today in church we talked about what type of leader the Bible wants us to have here on earth. It's a leader with "moral courage". That means a leader with the courage to do what is right, no matter what the consequences may be. It means doing the right thing when the right thing isn't popular or when the right thing has traditionally been overlooked. When the preacher was talking about that, I couldn't help but think of you. I believe you know what is the right thing to do to rebuild this agency. Its those things you tell yourself when you're in the car alone. Those things that you would do if nobody would get mad or if nobody would stop liking you. I believe that in your mind you have a plan that if implemented would turn things around like a tornado. What you would lose most likely, is the approval of some administrative staff in HQ, but what you would win is twofold; a place in ATF history where people could recall that disparate treatment ended and employees began to love the ATF again, and secondly the admiration and respect of the field agent who promotes the services of ATF everyday and has no idea where HQ is located in DC.

Alot of employees are looking for a lot of different things from you, but all of these wants can be summed up by two words. Moral courage. I know that by you possessing moral courage, the right decisions, moves, etc. will be done.

#63 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

So the question is: Is it is possible to promote to upper management in ATF without comitting some type of serious crime,lying repeatedly under oath, stealing, wasting tax payers' money, going to strip clubs with your tax payer funded GOV, driving DUI and getting caught reepatedly,showing up drunk to work, missing work ( AWOL) for months because you are gambling at casinos, molesting employees, graduating at the bottom of your FLETC class etc, etc?

No really is it possible?

Will it always be this way?

Well, I can tell you there have been whispers and soft-talking about a certain superstar manager in a Large Northeastern Division who will tell you he's the greatest case agent ever, and a better RAC than every other RAC in his Division, despite many years LESS experience, who, by the way, as a case agent, allegedly engaged in a long-term intimate relationship with a Assistant US Attorney of the opposite sex?

Mr. Integrity there. And he uses his managerial status to abuse the hell out of street agents who dare not kiss his arse.

#64 Guest_leaderofthetards_*

Guest_leaderofthetards_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Madea’s history lesson of the day......One of the most outstanding ATF Sr. Managers was a man by the name of Jimmy Welch. There are no words to describe his integrity, ethics, knowledge of the job, and most of all his humor. Jimmy didn’t look like an agent. He was short and a bit overweight. At the end of his career, he was a diabetic. But he stood tall in a crowd, far above the heads of the other ATF managers. He also fought for the street agent and he told them the truth; how something got screwed up and how you learned from it (mainly how you learned from it), then he would probably point out to you that it was time for lunch and off you’d go with him.

See, Jimmy was the SAC in Chicago with 150 agents. He barely had enough cars for his agents to drive, so he gave his car to a street agent. Every night he walked into the squad room and asked who could drive him home. He was the only SAC that Madea knows who never went to HQ until he became the Deputy Director. Jimmy Welch kept every promise he made to the field agent. Unfortunately his integrity is only a myth now. He didn’t care about SES perks. He didn’t need them because he knew that a good leader’s integrity could never be measured by the rosewood paneling in his office or the flat screen TV. Are ATF managers lost Thor? Yes, they are but I would like to think that the street agents will fight for their own integrity and drive the snakes out of the building.

Madea, maybe that's why Mark Potter got that Cadillac, to give it to a hard working agent. Yeah, I bet that's it.

#65 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

ATF can't handle the truth!!!

"And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline." (A Few Good Men)

It will always be this way and we will always have and be a second class agency due to the leadership and these types of SES deals happening behind the scenes. I don't want it to be this way and even hate it. I am embarrassed to be ATF when these types of things happen.

Where else can a SAC have sex with a subordinate on and in government property and not be in trouble? Where else can a former Deputy Director have sex with a subordinate in the former Acting Director's office or conference room and not be in trouble?

As long as this agency mistreats, excludes and marginalizes its own employees from career paths and opportunities, this agency will continue to go to crap in the court of public opinion, it does not matter who is at the helm. We need all of our talents, skills and expertise to make this agency a successful agency and not the talents, skills and expertise of a few. As long as the few is the mindset, we are in serious trouble! This is how Operation Wide Receiver and Operation Fast and Furious were conceived and could even flourish when their very existence goes against the very core of our mission and what any ATF Special Agent or Investigator stands for.

There is still retaliation in Atlanta. Employees in Miami and Washington are on the beach for administrative violations and are being treated as criminals by the real crooks in Chief Counsel's Office.

I pray and hope that ATF will once and for all and again find its way and be the great law enforcement agency that the field agents, investigators and personnel work every day to make it only to have it torn down with not very smart leadership and management decisions.

Until then, I have no choice but to watch this slow and painful implosion. At least Melson, Carter, Sullivan, Domenech and others got off the Titanic before it sank.

I digress... and the answer to your question is no, it is not possible to promote to an SES or management without selling your soul to the Devil.

Madea’s history lesson of the day......One of the most outstanding ATF Sr. Managers was a man by the name of Jimmy Welch. There are no words to describe his integrity, ethics, knowledge of the job, and most of all his humor. Jimmy didn’t look like an agent. He was short and a bit overweight. At the end of his career, he was a diabetic. But he stood tall in a crowd, far above the heads of the other ATF managers. He also fought for the street agent and he told them the truth; how something got screwed up and how you learned from it (mainly how you learned from it), then he would probably point out to you that it was time for lunch and off you’d go with him.

See, Jimmy was the SAC in Chicago with 150 agents. He barely had enough cars for his agents to drive, so he gave his car to a street agent. Every night he walked into the squad room and asked who could drive him home. He was the only SAC that Madea knows who never went to HQ until he became the Deputy Director. Jimmy Welch kept every promise he made to the field agent. Unfortunately his integrity is only a myth now. He didn’t care about SES perks. He didn’t need them because he knew that a good leader’s integrity could never be measured by the rosewood paneling in his office or the flat screen TV. Are ATF managers lost Thor? Yes, they are but I would like to think that the street agents will fight for their own integrity and drive the snakes out of the building.

#66 Thor God of Thunder

Thor God of Thunder

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

So the question is: Is it is possible to promote to upper management in ATF without comitting some type of serious crime,lying repeatedly under oath, stealing, wasting tax payers' money, going to strip clubs with your tax payer funded GOV, driving DUI and getting caught reepatedly,showing up drunk to work, missing work ( AWOL) for months because you are gambling at casinos, molesting employees, graduating at the bottom of your FLETC class etc, etc?

Many hard working, very competent agents with character, pride in the agency, great work ethic and experience have tried to enter management in ATF and bring some respect, pride and honor back to the agency and have been denied.

ATF can't handle the truth!!!

"And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline." (A Few Good Men)

It will always be this way and we will always have and be a second class agency due to the leadership and these types of SES deals happening behind the scenes. I don't want it to be this way and even hate it. I am embarrassed to be ATF when these types of things happen.

Where else can a SAC have sex with a subordinate on and in government property and not be in trouble? Where else can a former Deputy Director have sex with a subordinate in the former Acting Director's office or conference room and not be in trouble?

As long as this agency mistreats, excludes and marginalizes its own employees from career paths and opportunities, this agency will continue to go to crap in the court of public opinion, it does not matter who is at the helm. We need all of our talents, skills and expertise to make this agency a successful agency and not the talents, skills and expertise of a few. As long as the few is the mindset, we are in serious trouble! This is how Operation Wide Receiver and Operation Fast and Furious were conceived and could even flourish when their very existence goes against the very core of our mission and what any ATF Special Agent or Investigator stands for.

There is still retaliation in Atlanta. Employees in Miami and Washington are on the beach for administrative violations and are being treated as criminals by the real crooks in Chief Counsel's Office.

I pray and hope that ATF will once and for all and again find its way and be the great law enforcement agency that the field agents, investigators and personnel work every day to make it only to have it torn down with not very smart leadership and management decisions.

Until then, I have no choice but to watch this slow and painful implosion. At least Melson, Carter, Sullivan, Domenech and others got off the Titanic before it sank.

I digress... and the answer to your question is no, it is not possible to promote to an SES or management without selling your soul to the Devil.
Posted Image
For Clean Up ATF!

#67 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Doc, I'm sorry, I think you've got that wrong. Prosecution is not on the table. Tom chose to handle this administratively and not at the U.S. Attorney's office. I can't give him a minute. Only God knows which manager he'll clear next.

Madea, Mr. Brandons plate is very full. Give him a minute. No more than a minute. He knows the field knows what kind of allegations were contained in Crenshaws package. He knows that Crenshaw is openly bragging how he beat them so quickly on a technicality. He knows, prosecution is always an option. AND Mr. Brandon knows, that until he pulls his ticket completely and ethically, as well as Bernadettes, the field will scoff at ANYTHING he suggests as being in the way of accountability.

#68 apostate

apostate

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Many hard working, very competent agents with character, pride in the agency, great work ethic and experience have tried to enter management in ATF and bring some respect, pride and honor back to the agency and have been denied.

#69 Guest_old school_*

Guest_old school_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

I don’t care what his sexual orientation is. I do care about him putting the lives of those in a hotel at risk by destroying the safety measure that allows people to escape death by toxic gases or fire. ATF at one time touted it was an agency making a safer America and the NRT was a shining example of that. The NRT worked many fatal hotel fires.

I do care when an ATF Supervisor in a room paid for by ATF puts the occupants of that hotel in harm’s way. What does that say about his personal and professional judgment skills? There was a time in ATF when the mere potential for the agency to be looked at in disfavor was enough to take disciplinary action against an employee. But things have changed.

Upper managers can smuggle firearms onto commercial aircraft and be declared American hero’s, rack up personal bills on the Government credit card and walk away laughing, have government owned vehicles towed from strip clubs as a result of conduct not related to any criminal investigation, and destroy the early warning system in hotels where citizens expect to be safe and sleep soundly due to laws mandating that smoke alarms be installed and functional. The public has a right to know why people of this caliber are in charge of an organization tasked to investigate and enforce so many serious public safety laws.

None of the things I mentioned are related to their conduct during an actual criminal investigation. They all reflect on the personal conduct, judgment, and accountability of ATF upper managers while abusing their government position for their own personal gain. Incidents and alleged criminal behavior like that normally would be red flags to responsible people that something is amiss with those government employees and perhaps they should not be in positions of power and trust. But instead that type of conduct is made acceptable by the organization as it is rewarded time and time again.

This is yet another example of behavior that would be looked upon as criminal and prohibit you and I from positions of trust (and security clearance since he was actually arrested for a felony), but has been deemed as what is acceptable to ATF’s latest acting Director.

A fish rots at the head first.

#70 Jaime3

Jaime3

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Shadow, I totally agree with you.
But unfortunately, the many Attorneys who run the agency, only care about protecting the tainted ones.

In their eyes, it's not about right and wrong, it's about how they can find the gray area and get away with it.

And that's the scapegoat they will use just for him.

#71 The Shadow

The Shadow

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

I don’t care what his sexual orientation is. I do care about him putting the lives of those in a hotel at risk by destroying the safety measure that allows people to escape death by toxic gases or fire. ATF at one time touted it was an agency making a safer America and the NRT was a shining example of that. The NRT worked many fatal hotel fires.

I do care when an ATF Supervisor in a room paid for by ATF puts the occupants of that hotel in harm’s way. What does that say about his personal and professional judgment skills? There was a time in ATF when the mere potential for the agency to be looked at in disfavor was enough to take disciplinary action against an employee. But things have changed.

Upper managers can smuggle firearms onto commercial aircraft and be declared American hero’s, rack up personal bills on the Government credit card and walk away laughing, have government owned vehicles towed from strip clubs as a result of conduct not related to any criminal investigation, and destroy the early warning system in hotels where citizens expect to be safe and sleep soundly due to laws mandating that smoke alarms be installed and functional. The public has a right to know why people of this caliber are in charge of an organization tasked to investigate and enforce so many serious public safety laws.

None of the things I mentioned are related to their conduct during an actual criminal investigation. They all reflect on the personal conduct, judgment, and accountability of ATF upper managers while abusing their government position for their own personal gain. Incidents and alleged criminal behavior like that normally would be red flags to responsible people that something is amiss with those government employees and perhaps they should not be in positions of power and trust. But instead that type of conduct is made acceptable by the organization as it is rewarded time and time again.

This is yet another example of behavior that would be looked upon as criminal and prohibit you and I from positions of trust (and security clearance since he was actually arrested for a felony), but has been deemed as what is acceptable to ATF’s latest acting Director.

#72 Jaime3

Jaime3

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

To tell you the truth, all he had to say was Homosexuality is secretly frowned upon and he doesnt feel open to explore his sexuality. So with a uncontrollable sex addiction, he couldn't resist and crossed the line.

Although it sounds trumped up and far fetched, legally, ATF is required to send him to rehab and not demote him unless the behavior is repeated.

#73 The Shadow

The Shadow

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thomas Brandon just announced the promotion of Russel Vanderwerf from Deputy Chief Field Operations Field Management Staff to Deputy Chief Office of the Director Strategic Management. I call it a promotion even though both are GS-1801-15 positions because any field agent arrested for a felony would NOT be promoted and would be lucky to still have their job. But once again and now in the so called NEW administration, an upper manager commits an actual crime and nothing adverse happens to them. There are many posts detailing the crimes Vanderwerf is alleged to have committed while staying in an ATF paid hotel room. I wonder what ever happened to the criminal counts in New Orleans he was on bond for when transferred to HQ?

#74 MK-19HEDP

MK-19HEDP
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Vince if what you suspect in fact happened it is just another indicator that it is business as usual at ATF. You are spot on with the smoke an mirrors comment, nothing has changed. Just found out yesterday that the travelling road show is coming to town. There is some humor in seeing the Division go into panic mode to plan for the big show. I think the line is "putting lipstick on a pig". Gee, haven't we seen this from every acting Director. Blow into town, have a meeting with supervisors, gather everyone into a conference hall, give a canned company line speech and tell everyone things will be better, tell everyone they can be candid and ask questions, answer a couple of softball questions and leave town. The fact is that no one is going to be candid in that forum. This is right out of the ATF playbook that has been used for twenty years. A waste of time and money. At the end of the day what is accomplished? Mr Jones if you want to take the pulse of the field and learn what the problems are, you had better come up with a better method. The road show doesn't work and it just pisses people off. Here's a thought, stay in DC and one day a week, make personal phone calls to employees, have a conversation and listen to what people have to say. Set some ground rules, ie no personal issues and you will learn some things and have the knowledge to ask some intellegent questions of your leadership staff. I am sure there are other ideas out here, this is just one. All I say is do not walk in the footsteps of all the failed Acting Directors that preceeded you. Try something new.

Very well said!
The invitation to ask "candid" questions is nothing but bait. It is the rope to either jump with to their "double dutch" tune or hang yourself. Silence is golden!

#75 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Madea, Mr. Brandons plate is very full. Give him a minute. No more than a minute. He knows the field knows what kind of allegations were contained in Crenshaws package. He knows that Crenshaw is openly bragging how he beat them so quickly on a technicality. He knows, prosecution is always an option. AND Mr. Brandon knows, that until he pulls his ticket completely and ethically, as well as Bernadettes, the field will scoff at ANYTHING he suggests as being in the way of accountability.

Tom, it's Valentine's Day if you haven't noticed. You've had the first package for two weeks now. She told the truth. This one is easy. You cleared kelvin Crenshaw of some very serious charges in about the same amount of time. In the short time it took you to send out your warm and fuzzy email to the field, you could have cleared this simple matter up. Why don't you send the troops a long awaited for Valentine and clear this employee, otherwise it just looks like more of the same crap Tom.

#76 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

#77 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Tom, I understand that you cleared Kelvin because of a “due process technicality”. Would any of the following qualify as a due process technicality......I.A. passing off obvious evidence that would clear the agent, intentionally omitting the agent’s sworn statement from the ROI, the BDO refusing to take evidence that would clear the agent because she claimed it was too late, or how about not even investigating the allegations? You know the package you have on your desk right now qualifies under the last example. So how about preparing a memo for the agents so that they know what qualifies as a due process technicality? Why not put this in the next ATF broadcast? Maybe the Acting Director who is a sitting U.S. Attorney could check it over first.

Are these technicalities just for SESers or will you apply them to the field also? Is this why you are sitting so long on all these other decisions so you can guarantee the agents won’t be able to invoke a due process technicality? It seems suspicious to me that agents have been sitting at home for over a year and yet you cleared Kelvin lickity split. Let’s face it Tom, is Kelvin really that essential to the agency’s mission? This doesn’t look good to Medea.

#78 Jaime3

Jaime3

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

The Broadcast today only highlighted the smoke and mirrors concept within ATF.

I'm trying to stay positive and hope a committee will be created to address ALL employee concerns.

The EEO office was exposed by people like myself, while writing to the White House concerning the corrupt behavior.

We have been ignored, none of us received an answer, nor offered the opportunity to voice our opinions.
(I know some of you are saying, "Welcome to the Club.") :lol:

The ATF is comprised of diverse personnel. So to not pull from a diverse pool of personnel to assist in this "Restoration of Order" only flushes the "Embracing Diversity" right down the toilet. (with a swirl)
I'm a victim of and have witnessed non-Agents harassed. They have put their names and careers on the line to speak out against corrupt behavior.
So that Broadcast was a slap in the face to any assisting personnel who have spoke out on any good Agents behalf.

Unfortunately the smoke and mirrors presented at this point, is due to the F&F blow out.

Well I hope the Acting Director know that Congress will hear about and know the ATF is comprised of a variety of personnel.

Very disappointing. :(

#79 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Tom, have you had time to look at the first package? You've had it since the 30th of Jan and it's easy, she told the truth. I know she is not FLEOA member but that shouldn't matter, right? Thanks for your help.

#80 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Vince if what you suspect in fact happened it is just another indicator that it is business as usual at ATF. You are spot on with the smoke an mirrors comment, nothing has changed. Just found out yesterday that the travelling road show is coming to town. There is some humor in seeing the Division go into panic mode to plan for the big show. I think the line is "putting lipstick on a pig". Gee, haven't we seen this from every acting Director. Blow into town, have a meeting with supervisors, gather everyone into a conference hall, give a canned company line speech and tell everyone things will be better, tell everyone they can be candid and ask questions, answer a couple of softball questions and leave town. The fact is that no one is going to be candid in that forum. This is right out of the ATF playbook that has been used for twenty years. A waste of time and money. At the end of the day what is accomplished? Mr Jones if you want to take the pulse of the field and learn what the problems are, you had better come up with a better method. The road show doesn't work and it just pisses people off. Here's a thought, stay in DC and one day a week, make personal phone calls to employees, have a conversation and listen to what people have to say. Set some ground rules, ie no personal issues and you will learn some things and have the knowledge to ask some intellegent questions of your leadership staff. I am sure there are other ideas out here, this is just one. All I say is do not walk in the footsteps of all the failed Acting Directors that preceeded you. Try something new.

Patriot you're right on here, it IS same thing that's being going on at ATF for 20 years. If the new leaders wanted to show they were serious about hearing from the field, I think their time would be better spent reading the cases that are going to Tom Brandon now as well as the cases the ATF attorneys are currently litigating to hell and back. THAT would tell the story and not one DIME of tax payer money would need to be spent on a road show. All the new leadership appears to be doing is pretending to reach out to the field, while actually ignoring what is right under their noses just as ALL their predecessors have done before them. Reminds me of Mr. Monkey Man Melson. Hear no evil, see no evil.....

#81 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Tom, the first package has been picked up by someone with ATF. Thank you. I look forward to you getting this matter resolved quickly so we can move on to the next one.

#82 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

I would like to bring to everyone’s attention that Tom Brandon has been given the first opportunity to apply the Crenshaw Standard for disciplinary action to a rank and file employee. Brandon is being asked to reverse a disciplinary action against an EEO complainant. This woman received a letter of reprimand for telling the truth. Four DOJ attorneys have defended that action. Also, she was told she has a ‘Giglio issue’, although she told the truth. I will keep you advised as to the progress of clearing her name. I am sure Tom Brandon will address clearing her name as quickly as he did Crenshaw’s.

This is just the first case for his consideration. More will follow as we submit them to him. Thank you Tom.

Kay Kubicki

Tom, if the clearance given to Crenshaw was on the up and up, why not post the report of investigation, the proposal letter, and your decision? I would think that you and Kelvin would want to show the agents that your decision was fair and they can expect the same in the future.

#83 Patriot

Patriot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

#84 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Tom there are more packages heading your way. Please pick up package #1. If you don't, they will return it to me.

More than likely, since Todd Martin was the Chair of the PRB and voted to terminate Crenshaw, and has subsequently been reassigned to be the Bureau deciding official and can no longer rule on Crenshaws case, it defaulted to DD Brandon. Now why the DD saw fit to reinstate Crenshaw knowing what we all know is dumbfounding. No demotion, no removal from management, NOTHING? While Agents are being terminated for contrived vindictive reasons across the country? Appearances aren't everything, and clearly the field is not being kept in the loop, BUT it would appear this NEW leadership lacks the ability to hold their own accountable just as the Previous 4 or 5 Directors and Deputys. The more this change, the more they stay the same. As for Mr. Holders PRE-TESTIMONY letter to Oversight.New mechanisms are in place for the field to expose corrupt bosses and agency practices directly to the Deputy Director?????? Missed that memo. Smoke and mirrors. The leadership, Jones and Brandon have rubbed a few shoulders, made NO attempts to resolve the abuses of those who have been damaged as a result of standing up to what we now know was an out of control executive staff. Until EVERYONE, not just their chosen few who will tell them what they want to hear as opposed to what they NEED to hear, any suggestion that this Bureau is back on track is merely more ATF smoke and mirrors.Case in point, are Bouman and Loos still employed as attorneys for this once proud agency after their well documented judicial misconduct> If so, NUFF SAID.

#85 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

More than likely, since Todd Martin was the Chair of the PRB and voted to terminate Crenshaw, and has subsequently been reassigned to be the Bureau deciding official and can no longer rule on Crenshaws case, it defaulted to DD Brandon. Now why the DD saw fit to reinstate Crenshaw knowing what we all know is dumbfounding. No demotion, no removal from management, NOTHING? While Agents are being terminated for contrived vindictive reasons across the country? Appearances aren't everything, and clearly the field is not being kept in the loop, BUT it would appear this NEW leadership lacks the ability to hold their own accountable just as the Previous 4 or 5 Directors and Deputys. The more this change, the more they stay the same. As for Mr. Holders PRE-TESTIMONY letter to Oversight.New mechanisms are in place for the field to expose corrupt bosses and agency practices directly to the Deputy Director?????? Missed that memo. Smoke and mirrors. The leadership, Jones and Brandon have rubbed a few shoulders, made NO attempts to resolve the abuses of those who have been damaged as a result of standing up to what we now know was an out of control executive staff. Until EVERYONE, not just their chosen few who will tell them what they want to hear as opposed to what they NEED to hear, any suggestion that this Bureau is back on track is merely more ATF smoke and mirrors.Case in point, are Bouman and Loos still employed as attorneys for this once proud agency after their well documented judicial misconduct> If so, NUFF SAID.

Sure. He is part of the SES Club. It comes with a "Get off the hook" card.

Everyone else goes to jail, go directly to jail and don't collect a damn thing.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

#86 ISpy

ISpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Can anyone explain the rationale behind re-instating Crenshaw?

Sure. He is part of the SES Club. It comes with a "Get off the hook" card.

Everyone else goes to jail, go directly to jail and don't collect a damn thing.

#87 Retired and loving it

Retired and loving it

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Fear maybe? Except for that NO.

#88 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thank you Tom for addressing the issue of reporting bad managers. I'm sure you'll want to clear up the backlog as well. I know I have a few that have never been addressed like when I reported Wilfred Call Me Larry Ford to Ron Comerford as well as to Ken Massey, Bob Schmidt, and Julie Torres.

And then there is the complaint I filed against Kelvin Crenshaw for lying to congress.

And there's my complaint against Bill Newell and Jim Needles for settling a questionable discrimination complaint for the purpose of screwing an agent they didn't like.

So thank you Tom. I know you'll clear this backlog up real quick. I know you're the 'go-to guy' to turn this agency around and around and around and around. Oooooops, we're all dizzy with these turn arounds. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Kay Kubicki

#89 Patriot

Patriot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

#90 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

Tom, the first package has been delivered to the ATF mail facility. I know you want to expedite this very simple matter like you did for Kelvin. Remember the first person got a letter of reprimand for telling the truth and asking for help with a medical condition. Please have Greg Seres pick up the first package and let's get this case cleared up. Again, thank you for the Crenshaw standard.

#91 Retired and loving it

Retired and loving it

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

I would like to bring to everyone’s attention that Tom Brandon has been given the first opportunity to apply the Crenshaw Standard for disciplinary action to a rank and file employee. Brandon is being asked to reverse a disciplinary action against an EEO complainant. This woman received a letter of reprimand for telling the truth. Four DOJ attorneys have defended that action. Also, she was told she has a ‘Giglio issue’, although she told the truth. I will keep you advised as to the progress of clearing her name. I am sure Tom Brandon will address clearing her name as quickly as he did Crenshaw’s.

This is just the first case for his consideration. More will follow as we submit them to him. Thank you Tom.

Kay Kubicki

So was disciplinary action taken against Crenshaw or not?

#92 sierra donaven

sierra donaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

Dear Comrades,

During my 19/1/2 career with ATF, assigned to the Detroit Field Division, Tom Brandon, I personally witnessed to have high integrity, and a respecter of fair and equal treatment, saw the value in everyone and expected everyone to do their best effort no matter the task at hand.

Comrades, those of you still at ATF, I implore you to stand up for yourself, stand up together and support one another in his/her career when you know that they are being dealt a blow unfairly and unequally.

I believe in my heart that Tom Brandon, if brought to his attention, will right the wrong or soften the blow that you may deserve.

It is my understanding that ATF has become a very pitiful place to work and morale nationwide is at the lowest ever in the history of ATF. Ok comrades, all of you got some work to do and to do together to pull the morale back up to 100%, yes, it is possible and foreseeable because Spirit lives in and moves through each and every one of you and therefore, we are all related, connected, no matter the color, race, sex, nor greed.

Comrades, come together and go together, all of you pile up in your supervisor's office or whatever needs to be done, and share with him/her what is RIGHT, what is GOOD because the more you focus on that the more of that comes.

Yes, I do believe that what is unfair and unequal right now at ATF can be righted.

Spirit has placed a work of destiny before a current high ranking manager at a moment in ATF's history when the damn broke. Now watch the Power of Spirit move mountains, clear pathways, open doors, open lines of communications, and align every person, place and thing for the highest good of you all.

Love, peace, joy and goodwill,

Comrade Sierra

TRUTH, JUSTICE & PEACE
THERE IS NO RELIGION HIGHER THAN THE TRUTH - Madame Blavatsky, Theosophy

#93 Guest_madea_*

Guest_madea_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Kay Kubicki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users