Heisenberg's Content

There have been 33 items by Heisenberg (Search limited from 14-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#6385 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 10 August 2014 - 08:56 AM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Yesterday I went to a charity golf outing for a kid with cancer who's father is a local police chief. While I was there I ran into a retired FBI SAC. He seemed to be a good enough guy and couldn't have been nicer when he found out I was an ATF Agent. He asked to be in my foursome and we spoke quite a bit. He told me that he was the former Assistant Director for Counter-Terrorism in the mid 2000s, who stepped down and retired as a SAC. I was floored. I thought that ATF was the only agency that permitted this and that everywhere else is was up and out.

He offered an opinion when I chatted with him on leadership problems in our agency. He said that from his perspective, the difference between ATF and FBI is that the FBI is run by processes and the ATF seems to be run by personalities. In his experience, he said that every time he saw an ATF SAC move on, the new SAC usually changed things quite a bit, but FBI SACs aren't really allowed to do this. Their HQ mandates that they adhere to certain criteria, so they can only make minimal changes.

Maybe that is something that we can learn from the Bureau. He also said that the grass isn't greener at FBI either. They are more HQ driven and their local investigations are highly micromanaged from DC. When I told him that I wondered if we'd get absorbed by the Bureay because of all of the stupidity and political BS that we've been caught up in, he stopped dead in his tracks and glared at me and said "be careful what you wish for. We had big problems too. We just do a better job of keeping them off the news."

It was a nice rouxnd of golf...

#6355 Closing Bogota, Colombia Office

Posted by Heisenberg on 27 July 2014 - 11:19 AM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

You're kidding right? ATF has no law enforcement role outside of the USA. These oversea posts are merely liaison spots for well connected GS-14 and GS-15 personnel. Now that we have e-Trace, there's hardly a need for an international presence. With cities inside of the USA falling apart and crime running rampant in some places like Detroit, Newark, East St. Louis and Baltimore, among DOZENS of others, I'd rather see our focus be directed to violent crime HERE. Enough overseas posting for supervisors when we hardly have 4 agents in some busy cities.

By the way- the safety of Americans overseas is State Department's lane- not ours. Grassley wont give 2 shits about us leaving Columbia. He'd probably be pissed that we're still in Lyon, The Hague and Canada.

Just my 2 cents.

#6350 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 24 July 2014 - 05:46 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Both the Times and the USA Today articles are off base and poorly researched.

If our case numbers are down, its probably due to losing people to retirement over the past few years and a drop in cases being accepted for prosecution by US Attorney's Offices. This administration has not exactly been hard on criminals. Look at their efforts to do away with mandatory minimums. Pathetic.

I also disagree quite a bit about the insinuation that ATF targets minorities in these stings. These stings are done in neighborhoods that warrant the use of the technique and those happen to be largely occupied by people of color. The intent is to make those neighborhoods safer. Having said that, I do agree that these techniques are over used. We used to reserve them for the worst offenders and now it seems that we are doing them way too often and the work has gotten sloppy. Whether or not that is because HQ is trying to push these cases to inflate numbers is another story and if that's the case then it is a problem.

#6321 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 10 July 2014 - 06:03 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

We had a surge in my Post of Duty. It started and ended with an agent who was sent by headquarters who found pleasure in badmouthing the local agents to the local assistant US Attorneys, and bragging about how him and his team were not like the local "piece of shit" agents. Too bad he was too arrogant and stupid to realize that some of us had worked for years to actually build relationships with them and as soon as he finished running his big mouth, our phones were burning up with all of the lurid details of his smart assed commentary.

It certainly inspires trust in headquarters though, doesnt it?

#6310 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 09 July 2014 - 03:30 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Despite this Senator's attempt to pander to his pro-Second Amendment constituency, this bill will never make it past the House and Senate. The NRA will kill this bill dead. The last thing they want is for a fully staffed, funded, and well led agency that is actually capable of enforcing the nation's gun laws.

#6284 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 22 June 2014 - 04:18 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

ATF HQ is not only asleep at the wheel and critically disconnected from their own management staff, but it would appear that their own leadership core has lost all respect for the executive staff.Zapor dishonored EVERY SAC in the country and diminished the position . Undercover is NOT a game. It is the MOST dangerous and specialized technique we use. HQ looks more like a clown car, turning out one clown after another, and they just keep coming.

I reallly can't find it in me to lay this one on the feet of HQ this time. I don't really think that anyone in that building sees Zapor as anything other than what he is: A big dope.

Insane.

#6273 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 17 June 2014 - 02:25 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Jay,

A real man admits his mistakes. Long before you took the time to respond to my post, I knew that you would be that guy. Thanks. Your apology wasn't necessary, but it is none the less accepted.

Keep the faith.

#6269 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 12 June 2014 - 01:00 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Wow Jay. Congratulations on the article. It was very well written. I applaud your defense of the undercovers.

As the parent of a child with a severe learning disability due to an incident during childbirth, I do have to question lumpimg people with learning disabilities into the same category as the insane. It's apples and oranges Jay. You may have shot yourself in the foot with that portion of an othewise brilliantly written article.

#6260 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 08 June 2014 - 01:57 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

It is difficult. Our entry exam is much harder than many local police exams. We also have a polygraph that is much harder than many state and local polygraph examinations. We get a huge number of applicants for the number of openings we have. For the most part, we have it a lot better than most of our state and local counterparts. We make a lot more money and most agents don't work nearly as hard.

We also get a take home vehicle, paid gas, tolls and other things that state and local cops would kill for. We have leadership problems, but so do many state and local agencies. In fact, I know an HSI agent who has been proposed for termination for swearing in the office after "Blowing thr Whistle" on misconduct in HSI. They are trying to terminate him for "conduct unbecoming a special agent".

Law enforcement is NOT what it used to be. Honor has been replaced with talentless ambition.

#6258 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 08 June 2014 - 01:03 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Why does that surprise you? Half the bosses in this outfit are in positions that they are not qualiified for.

#6257 Reprisal

Posted by Heisenberg on 08 June 2014 - 12:53 PM in Specific Acts of Unlawful Reprisal Against ATF Agents, Employees & Whistleblowers.

It seems like two have managed to weather the storm. Canino is now the SAC of the LA Field Division and now I hear that Peter Forselli is getting a GS-15 job in HQ. Maybe they drank the Kool Aid...

#6256 Reprisal

Posted by Heisenberg on 08 June 2014 - 12:53 PM in Specific Acts of Unlawful Reprisal Against ATF Agents, Employees & Whistleblowers.

It seems like two have managed to weather the storm. Canino is now the SAC of the LA Field Division and now I hear that Peter Forselli is getting a GS-15 job in HQ. Maybe they drank the Kool Aid...

#6248 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 02 June 2014 - 04:08 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Jay,

I agree with you on this one. Ariel Rios was an ATF hero who was slain in the line of duty, while Ness was technically an IRS employee, if I am not mistaken. I'd welcome Ariel's name on our Headquarters. I thought it was a sin that his name was removed from the Treasury Building.

Ness had his glory. Now it's time to honor another hero. Ariel was a great guy. It would be a nice tribute.

#6237 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 27 May 2014 - 01:31 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

To answer your question: YES.

I would want the senior leaders who failed to lead fired. I would want the mid-level managers who fail to perform fired and I would want the underperforming workers to either shape up, or be fired. If we were a business, like Target, we would have gone under long before half of our work force was born. No question about it. ATF needs reform, so does most of the government. It's a disgrace.

ATF isn't my first job. I had a few jobs before I came on board and I worked for police departments in two cities. Neither provided me with a car, paid gas, decent working quarters or many of the things that we needed to get the work done, but we managed. That went for the bosses too. Other than the Chief, nobody got a car. We managed and the abyssmal working conditions brought the guys together, including the sergeants, lieutenant, captains and majors. Everybody pulled their weight or there were REPERCUSSIONS. At. ATF a lot of people have the world by the balls, yet they still cry like babies. That includes MANY bosses. In most places you earn things, here people cry loud enough and get what they want. The "squeeky wheel get the oil" treatment, and some have used it to climb the ranks without an ounce of police in them. It is those people who have ruined this agency and itmis they that I detest.

#6235 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 26 May 2014 - 07:32 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Goodworker-
If that were to happen, who would you recommend we replace them with? I'm just curious.

If you look at the results of the recent survey that was sent to the ATF employees, the top of our hierarchy was rated better than our ADs, DADs SACs and ASACS. We have some very talented people in this agency, but why haven't they been promoted, bur perhaps more appropriately, why won't they promote? We've had a couple of good promotions in the past few years, but nowhere near enough and the vultures of our agency are still raising their hands to promote at a higher rate than the eagles.

We have some great 13s and 14s who need to step up if we are to survive as an agency. Many don't want to because they don't want to move. Keep in mind that if we fold our tents and get merged into another agency, you may not have a choice.

#6231 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 22 May 2014 - 05:38 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Interesting points. I remember when New York covered half of New Jersey. I also remember when Los Angeles covered Phoenix. The agency has grown. No doubt about it. Unless you talk about the number of actual agents. That has been stagnant for decades.

Why not merge groups in divisions where we have 2 or 3 groups of 3 or 4 agents? How do you do any real enforcement activity with 2 or 3 agents? Not possible. Create less bosses and make more effective, robust groups. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?

Another thing that always perplexed me was our command structure. Most law enforcement or military organizations have a rank structure that looks like a pyramid, with few people sitting at the top. Ours looks more like a trapezoid- flat on top. Why in God's name is the head of OPRSO or OST the same pay grade as the head of Field Ops? It doesn't make any sense at all. Too many empires and too many Emperors.

#6228 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 22 May 2014 - 04:35 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

I see that the SAC positions in Atlanta, Newark and St. Paul are now open. It will be telling to see who those jobs go to. Seems like the turnover is non stop these days.

#6225 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 21 May 2014 - 04:32 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

That's what I have heard from very reliable sources.

#6220 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 21 May 2014 - 04:29 AM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Can anyone justify how the SAC from Ohio was removed for what has been described to me as a FULL ON MUTINY under HER watch by 2 SACs and a former member of the Ombudsman's office, is now a DAD. Isn't that just BEGGING for more Congressional oversight? Come on guys, we can do better. I mean we are not talking just a low popularity, or low level incompetence. We are talking a complete break down. What happens IF she continues to screw the pooch, complaints or allegations come in and that stuff comes out in discovery or during investigations. COME ON. We can do better.[/quote]

Many are scratching their heads over this one. A supervisor who not only shows glaring incompetence, but who is perhaps the biggest bully in the history of the ATF SES ranks gets promoted after being a no show for a year. At least BJ had the decency to say he wasn't going there and retired.

#6194 Any Comments?

Posted by Heisenberg on 13 May 2014 - 04:48 AM in "Operation Fast & Furious", "Operation Wide Reciever", "Project Gunrunner", "Operation Castaway", et al.

You don't know who he is or was.  Don't listen to this stupid Ike or Observer.  We all know who they are now since they hadn't ever posted but negative stuff like trying to discredit someone who was a hard worker.  When you come on this website to try to discredit someone's credibility (other than some of the RAC's, SAC's, DAD's and Director which have already been mentioned), then you are just pure evil!!!

I never said he wasn't credible. Never even hinted that. My point is that almost every agent has been passed over for something in their career. Getting passed over for a new car, an assignment outside CONUS or advanced training isn't something new to me. It is Tuesday. Any by the way, I do know Frank and he's a decent agent. He is certainly NOT an unethical guy. I know most of the ABQ guys, or rather former ABQ guys. Retirements gutted that place too.

#6185 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 12 May 2014 - 06:34 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Let's be clear here folks: The INS was merged with Customs to form ICE, or HSI, or whatever they want to call themselves at the moment, but INS guys did NOT get hurt in this merger. Talk to any legacy Customs guys in thay shop and you'll get an earful. Many of the bufoons who ran INS moved into more powerful and prestigious spots in the merger, so to use the plight as a cautionary tale would not really apply. It's truly sad when guys who never even graduated CITP can merge into an investigative agency with guys who did and have the upper hand.

If you really think that HSI is a great agency and one without leadership issues, I have a nice bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. I agree that you don't hear the same from the FBI or the U.S. Marshals. Maybe they are doing something right, or maybe they are just better at handling their dirty laundry.

Remember, the FBI is an excepted service agency. If you are a cancer, they fire you. If you are a problem child, they fire you and if you are a whistleblower, they fire you. In fact, until recently, FBI, NSA, DIA and other national security related agencies were EXEMPT from the Whistleblower Protection Act.

We have a problem. Many unqualified and untalented people have saturated our upper ranks. They did so while may squared away agents dug in and worked cases. As time passed the balance shifted and we now have too many crappy leaders than we can successfully hide. Now we are paying the price, and we will CONTINUE to pay the price until our working agents become as aggressive in promoting as our base touchers. It's math. No two ways around it. Those people that we hid in the corners of HQ, FIGs and DOO spots have re-emerged as GS-15s and above and now they are calling the shots.

While you worked OMO cases, of home invasions, or wiretaps, they drank lattes, and more importantly brought one back for their boss. While you broke your ass, they kissed all the ass they could. While you worked hard, they worked harder at avoiding work. Now many of them get to call the shots, and it's OUR fault, becuase we could have stepped up.

If good people don't try to promote and move up, we're DONE, but a merger isn't the answer. Our REAL agents, who have always done more with less are.

#6182 A little help understanding

Posted by Heisenberg on 12 May 2014 - 02:48 PM in "Operation Fast & Furious", "Operation Wide Reciever", "Project Gunrunner", "Operation Castaway", et al.

Oh, Great! Now this website is going to be used to coach defense lawyers and investigators from the defense on how to screw agents? Defendants never lie to dirty up an agent in pursuit of a dismissal or an appeal, right?

I'm out!

#6173 Any Comments?

Posted by Heisenberg on 11 May 2014 - 07:39 AM in "Operation Fast & Furious", "Operation Wide Reciever", "Project Gunrunner", "Operation Castaway", et al.

Heisenberg,  I do not know Ortiz or his background.  I would like to add some food for thought, I think we are entitled to a professional work environment where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully without fear of retaliation for telling the truth.  We are entitled to be given a fair chance to attend training, go on desirable temporary assignments, or other opportunities.  We are entitled to fair evaluations for the promotion process based on our EPAS scores, work performance, professionalism, and other objective standards.  So I guess I am one of those people who are "destroying our agency" because I have the audacity to think I am entitled to objective and fair standards.  There is a new book out called "Assholes A Theory" which is available at Barnes and Noble.  The book is funny and concise about the definition of assholes that most people will agree to and we will stop and think about those people who have negatively affected our lives and the lives of our families and friends.  We have all been passed over for various opportunities but it gets old seeing lesser qualified, unprofessional, unethical people getting taken care of by bosses who are only concerned about getting their ego stroked and their next promotion.  I would suggest it is the bosses who fail to be a good leader that our "destroying our agency."

Goodworker,

You make some very valid points and you are absolutely correct in stating that we are entitled to fair treatment in the promotion process and in our treatment by management. Expecting that does not make you one of the people who is destroying the agency.

My point is that we have scores of people, including many bosses who feel a sense of entitlement that has nothing to do with what their capable of. We have scores of bosses who have done nothing to earn the right to lead others. They did their minimum number of blue jackets needed to keep the bosses off of their backs, and yet griped anything less than an Outstanding evaluation. These people then advance and think that they have the knowledge to tell working agents how to do the job. Their sense of entitlement is deplorable and the arrogance that comes along with it causes them to treat the working agents under them with contempt.

We have all at some point or another been passed over for something, forthe most part. But I find that the people who cling onto these things are generally not the agents that I have enjoyed workimg with. Rather, they are the agents who make people miserable to show up to work. If I am denied training, cars, or an overseas job, have I been slighted? It really depends on who actually got those things over me, doesn't it? I do know Ortiz, he way an okay agent. There were far better guys in his field division and even in his group. ATF wide, those numbers increase exponentially. So the fact that poor Frank didn't get new cars, advanced training, or an assignment in Canada don't cause me any grief.

I agree that we should be treated fairly and equitably, no doubt, but I always had more respect for the guys who dug in and got the job done over those who whine and cry about what they deserved. That ability to suck it up and do more with less is what always seperated us from the brats who went to work for the FBI, ICE and the other members of the alphabet soup. Our tenacity and willingness to work in the gutters, instead of working cases from our cubicles, is what made us. My fondest days were working in some pretty crappy environments. The shared sacrifice made us closer, like family. Losing that mentality is not in our best interest as an agency. Just my 2 cents...

#6169 Any Comments?

Posted by Heisenberg on 10 May 2014 - 06:19 AM in "Operation Fast & Furious", "Operation Wide Reciever", "Project Gunrunner", "Operation Castaway", et al.

Does anyone have any comments about retired SSA Frank Ortiz III who filed an EEO complaint in 2007 and another in the 1990s? He retired on November 30, 2011.

Mr. Ortiz said he was suspended for two days for alleged misuse of his position, and was suspended at least once before that. He was passed over three times for a new vehicle, passed over twice for available assignments in Canada, and denied advanced training at least twice.

I don't understand where this thread is- or ever was- going, but I don't particularly care for people who whine over things like being passed over for a new car, an assignment, or training. Most of us have been passed over for things in our careers, for one reason or another. I find the people who complain about it are usually not the working case agents, but rather the crybabies. Workers get back in the game and wait for other opportunities thag they may- or may not get. Those who feel entitled are part of what is destroying our agency. I've never had a new car, I've been passed over for training and I know that those OCONUS spots are for GS14 and GS15s. Who cares? I don't even care. All we are ENTITLED to is a paycheck.

#6152 Grapevine

Posted by Heisenberg on 06 May 2014 - 02:59 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Vince, I've posted what I've posted hoping full well that they would see it. I also chose to avoid naming names because I don't think that it gets me, or us anywhere. Perhaps the high ground will. Some very direct and pointed commentary has been posted on this site, and where has it gotten us? Granted, Fast and Furious was put in the light because of postings here, but have other accusations gained us an inch? I think not.

Sadly, bad bosses don't know that they are bad bosses. Trashing people by name may at times be justified by the anger we feel, but it seems to close the ranks of those who are on the receiving end. We need some changes for the survival of the agemcy, but maybe--- JUST MAYBE--- if we out bad policy and discuss the poor decisions in a more civil manner, people will take notice instead of being on the defensive.

A lot of people are afraid to use the portal to send "anonymous feedback" to the Director because they are afraid it will come back to them. I'm among them. So I'm hijackimg your site to try to get those positive, negative, critical and hopeful messages out. Hopefully they will look and take notice. Maybe some positive changes can come of it if the bother to read these pages. Baby steps...