Plain Old ATF Agent's Content

There have been 2 items by Plain Old ATF Agent (Search limited from 15-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#3588 Traver Watch

Posted by Plain Old ATF Agent on 21 September 2011 - 07:27 PM in Archived Posts

Word is leaking out of HQ this week, to us plain old agents in the field that our new Acting Director is in fact planning on making some personnel moves very shortly. The Acting Director has told the 5th floor jerk off’s that the management of ATF will look entirely different by January 1 and has said in so many words that most will be gone. Mr. Jones is not too impressed with what he has seen and been told thus far by the 5th floor executives. Jones is telling people close to him at DOJ and at the OUSA in Minnesota that he can’t believe some of the people are in the positions they are in and that the agency is in worse shape than he was led to believe. Looks like Mr. Jones is scouting out available talent within and outside the agency but is finding it difficult to get firm commitments from people because of the politically charged atmosphere surrounding Fast and Furious and the rejuvenation of the gun control debate that this scandal has created. Nobody wants to get tagged with it on their resume. Hoover and Chait are definitely being forced out one way or another. He is on the fence as to several others. Assistant Directors are telling their confidants and close staffers to expect announcements very soon that they are being replaced. A major shake-up is being planned across the board. Jones is keeping everything very close to the vest and his new Chief of Staff has had significant input into the proposed personnel decisions. SAC of the Boston Field Division is being considered for an AD or Deputy Director slot. We could be going from worse to worser if that clown in Boston gets his hands on the controls. Look for others in the Minnesota to factor prominently into his plans, some jumping several levels up the chain of command from their current positions. As usual, and predicted by many, no real reforms or changes. Just a new group of haves and have not’s.

As it was explained to me by a staffer in my Democratic Congressmen's Office, the worry from the political people at DOJ, the White House and the DNC is that as election day comes closer and closer, if things with Fast and Furious aren’t promptly addressed, Republicans not only will have the poor economy and high unemployment to slam over the heads of Democrats, but the gun control issue as well, which puts several swing states into play that Obama carried in the last election. In the initial planning for reelection gun control wasn’t even considered as being an issue, but Fast and Furious has changed all that. So much so, that polling and focus groups are now being used by the Democrats to gauge public opinion regarding Fast and Furious, ATF and gun control issues. Not surprisingly, it seems that most of America has never heard of Operation Fast and Furious and has no idea who or what ATF is or does. Gun control on the other hand is very different; Americans have very strong opinions in that area even if they have never heard of scandal or ATF.

#1784 Traver Watch

Posted by Plain Old ATF Agent on 14 March 2011 - 07:57 PM in Archived Posts

Mr. Melson,

I’m just a plain old agent, nothing special, with no agenda, just like the majority of ATF’s other 4,900 employees, who are loyal, dedicated, hard working, honorable, and honest civil servants. I come to work, submit my blue jackets, and put the worst of the worst in federal prison. I LOVE being an ATF Agent. I would not want to give it up for anything in the world. However, I am completely embarrassed that as a federal law enforcement officer I am afraid to post my identity on this posting because I fear the retaliation by those who serve under you in the SLT. Unfortunately, I am not the only one who feels this way. Your employees have become afraid to speak out with truthful and fact based complaints. A sense of fear of retaliation runs deep and it’s real.

If no one in the SLT is going to tell you then I will; we are all sick and tired of our agency being dragged through the mud in national media outlets on a daily basis. We have had enough. We have lost faith and confidence in those senior managers that surround you on the 5th floor. They all have an agenda of some sort and are not advising or acting in the best interests of you, ATF employees or the United States of America. It’s time for some new blood, ideas and leadership. Make them retire, or fire them. We don't care just get them out before anymore damage is done to ATF.

Like most in ATF, I could not believe what I was hearing about what was being written and complained about on this site. I was curious, so I decided to read every post and supporting documents attached to the posts. I talked to those in ATF whose opinion I trust. I researched public records, OIG reports, GAO reports, internet blogs, etc. I like to think that I came to very solid, factually based conclusion about the state of our agency. I came to the conclusion that all of the issues discussed here are TRUE. EVERY ONE! I hate to tell you that the place is falling down around you. We are rapidly losing the confidence of the public, our partners in industry and law enforcement, foreign and domestic.

If you have not figured it by now, you are being given untruthful, half-truths and filtered facts and information on a wide range of issues. The feeling is that they can wait you out. The SLT is filtering everything you are being told. You are in a bubble. You are only getting half of the story and that is the half of the story that those around you want you to know. You get only what they tell you. I am sure they have taken full advantage of your lack of experience with running a law enforcement organization and gave you some bullshit about the chain of command and how things operate in ATF and law enforcement in general. That is the type of coded language that these folks use to keep you out of the know and away from the information that you need to make informed decisions.

In my opinion, which, I find is shared by more and more ATF employees everyday that I talk to, is that most of those on the SLT are not living in reality and are totally disconnected with what is going on in the field and specifically the consequences of the fallout from "Fast and Furious". They do not see why any of this is an issue. You need to get out of Washington without your handlers and talk to your employees in the field. Get the facts for yourself. Ask questions and more questions. Do not settle for what the SAC is telling you. It is probably self-serving.

The agency needs bold leadership and strong action taken NOW if we are to survive as an organization! Please, please, please do the right thing before it is too late. We already have two law enforcement officer deaths on our hands, not to mention the hundreds of civilian victims on both sides of the border. Enough is enough. Stop hiding in headquarters and do something.

As an example, in private industry or with our law enforcement partners that we work with on daily basis, a scandal of this sort would be swiftly dealt with and thoroughly investigated. People would be relieved of command, suspended, put on administrative leave, fired, etc, starting at the top, and working down from there. A full scale, independent investigation would be undertaken in the most expeditious manner to GET TO THE TRUTH. Once the facts were obtained those, who committed violations would be dealt with and those that were cleared would be brought back to work. Nevertheless, something would be done. We can still recover if you act now. To hell with whatever advice your are getting. Those around you and the advice and counsel they have given you has not served you well during your entire tenure, has it? You do not need advice to do the right thing. Gives us the leadership that we so desperately need. Your legacy and good reputation is now in the balance as is the agency that we love to work for.