Photo

ASAC Requirements

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Simple Man_*

Guest_Simple Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Here is a news flash--how about if you are a sexual predator you can't be an ASAC? Having a substatiated IA jacket should not be career enhancing--but seems to be the norm in ATF. I become more embarrased being an Agent every day!!

Agreed. But then Gillett would have to be fired and Billy is not going to allow that because he doesn't want to appear hypocritical based on his own affairs, and Carter didn't want to fire Billy because he didn't want to appear hyprocritical based on his own affiars and Crenshaw didn't investigate any of it because, you guessed it, he didn't want to appear hyporcritical based on his own affiars. Melson, you have assembled quite a team!

#2 1desertrat

1desertrat

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEverywhere there is sand.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

Seems as if there is a memo going around seeking comments about changing the minimum requirements to be an ASAC. Thank god HQ finally realized we need to have management with real operational experience. Sum and substance of the memo lends itself to the premise that unless you have had actual CE group supervisor time you can't be an ASAC. This means that if you came to ATF from another agency, never worked an original ATF case in your life, hid out at HQ for a few years, got your 14 and went out as a DOO to supervise admin staff you do not have what it takes to be an ASAC. At least they see part of the problem if it is true!!!

Here is a news flash--how about if you are a sexual predator you can't be an ASAC? Having a substatiated IA jacket should not be career enhancing--but seems to be the norm in ATF. I become more embarrased being an Agent every day!!

#3 CAPTAIN JOHN MILLER

CAPTAIN JOHN MILLER
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUNITED STATES

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

Conceptually it’s a great idea and I totally agree with it. However, one problem I see is going to be the concept will never get implemented correctly and that will be because of money. Management is not going to commitment financially to make a policy like that succeed. Prove me wrong, name one program of any kind that management has ever implemented with the proper funding? Something like this is going to have a lot of unintended consequences. It’s going require steady stream of PCS money and the will to transfer people from the field into HQ and out again on some kind of time line, similar to what DEA and the FBI do. In and out, no homesteading, no career program managers, no RAC’s made in place and then allowed to stay 10-15 years in place, no promotions from 13 to 14 in place, in and out, step up or step down, provide leadership or get out of the way. We need to have movement and create opportunities. How about giving 13’s a break by giving some hope that a shity GS/RAC is going to be moving on after 3-5 years. Think of some of the problems that would eliminate just by a change of the personalities. Think about major programs getting an infusion of new talent and ideas every few years. If you want to be a 13 and stay your whole career in the same place good for you. Shouldn’t apply to 14’s and 15’s. It obvious it doesn’t work all you need to do is look at our current state of affairs. It’s like everything else in ATF, a penny wise and a pound foolish. Easy to cut dollars from training, mission travel and PCS money instead of actually looking at where the inefficiencies, duplication and waste is. Requires no thought process at all to cut these areas and it is always the areas that get cut year after year. We all know and see it every day, despite our “bare bones budget”, there is considerable mismanagement of our budget. Whether it’s in purchasing excessive vehicles for SAC’s, multiple PCS moves for failed managers, legal expenses, the list goes on and on. Why doesn’t ATF management just ask the employees of ATF where to save money? Because they don’t really want to know. Great idea but like everything else the devil is in the details! Here is a thought……just deal with the bad RAC’s, ASAC’S, and SAC’s. Identify them, PIP them, demote them, fire them, or force them to retire. Happens all the time with 13’s. Give us some relief. Change it up. How about a major shake up of all 14’s and 15’s. One massive, phased in transfer of all of them. Who cares how much it will cost. Bet it actually saves money because of the improvement in agent morale and the problems, grievances and legal actions it will solve or prevent and thus save money. I keep hearing about “best business practice”, well that is one for you, Mr. Melson. Happens every day with our state and local counterparts. Why doesn’t it happen in ATF? Have some courage and provide us with some leadership. Think outside the box, do something BOLD, new, and creative. But most of all give us some relief in the field from incompetent and uninspiring supervisors. What we don’t need is some new policy. We have enough of those already. Enforce the ones we currently have!

#4 Guest_Jumper_*

Guest_Jumper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

WOW, One in a row. I bet the Mark Potters and George Gillettes and the John Ryans will make it a point to shoot that down. But at least they are tryin. How about, you take a ASAC job or you take a SAC job, you stay unless you promote for at least 5 yrs. No exceptions. Agents do it their whole career. Dont apply if you dont want the job. I know its hard to hit a moving target and hold somebody accountable when they only spend 1 1/2 yrs in place. Plus imagine the budgetary savings.

Gillett has been wearing an earing of late. This is pretty ridiculous for an ASAC but I guess he's trying to show his rebellousness. It's a simple Sylvester Stallone style stud version. 1982 called and they want that earing back. Next up will be a center-part mullet.

There are some good ASAC's out there who worked cases, ran groups, punched their HQ tickets and have earned a shot at a SAC job but the safe bet is that as one SAC job opens other SAC's will fight for it and get their good-ol-SAC-boy payback with the new division of their choice. Or maybe an AD will trump them. ATF has got to be the only Bureau or Agency under DOJ that routinely allows executives to travel downward on the career path - Domenech, Carter, Crenshaw to name just a few. Nothing says "failure" like becomeing an AD and dropping two levels to a SAC.

How about you put in for a SAC job, get it, and then stay there. What is the benefit to ATF of SAC A lateralling into SAC B's vacated spot? Why not just have the SAC's stay put and give some new blood a chance to succeed or fail? I promise you they won't do any worse.

Would Philly be worse off if Sweetow became the SAC? Would Phoenix be worse off if Charlie Smith became the SAC? Did anyone benefit when Crenshaw left the SAC Seattle job which was filled by Champion, Crenshaw fails in HQ, they clear Champion out to make room for Crenshaw to return and move Champion to Dallas? Who benefited from any of that? ATF, Crenshaw, Champion and the Seatlle FD agents all lost.

It has been the case for years. Look at LaForest. SAC Detroit to SAC Phoenix to SAC Los Angeles. For what? How did that help anyone or improve anything?

The shotcallers of ATF are afraid to give anyone a chance that is not in their club. They only promote those that they see themselves in and thus the circle of life and poor management of ATF continues.

#5 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

WOW, One in a row. I bet the Mark Potters and George Gillettes and the John Ryans will make it a point to shoot that down. But at least they are tryin. How about, you take a ASAC job or you take a SAC job, you stay unless you promote for at least 5 yrs. No exceptions. Agents do it their whole career. Dont apply if you dont want the job. I know its hard to hit a moving target and hold somebody accountable when they only spend 1 1/2 yrs in place. Plus imagine the budgetary savings.

#6 career13

career13
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPurgatory

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Seems as if there is a memo going around seeking comments about changing the minimum requirements to be an ASAC. Thank god HQ finally realized we need to have management with real operational experience. Sum and substance of the memo lends itself to the premise that unless you have had actual CE group supervisor time you can't be an ASAC. This means that if you came to ATF from another agency, never worked an original ATF case in your life, hid out at HQ for a few years, got your 14 and went out as a DOO to supervise admin staff you do not have what it takes to be an ASAC. At least they see part of the problem if it is true!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users