9 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman

Iceman

Regular

• Moderators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

I think it speaks volumes, that until recent years, you had to FORCE Agents to retire at the mandatory age. It would be nice to know the average age of retirees was in 2009 and 2010.

This isnt a "remember when" moment, but out of all the agents you know who have retired, what percentage of them retired happy with their experience with ATF? I've pondered this question for the past couple of days because I didnt want to exaggerate, but "I" would estimate 40% have retired with a positive experience, which means 60% have not. Keep in mind, this percentage comes from the agents I have personally known.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts and percentages?

#2 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

Remember when;;;;;;Remember when being a Senior agent meant something, like being able to pick the new cars first, or able to pick the best office.

Sorry, according to the new on-line course "Professionalism," that could be construed as "hazing" new employees. God [or Billy Hoover] forbid, a GS-5 or a GS-7 EARN it, instead of being handed all the privileges two months out of college.

#3 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

This isnt a "remember when" moment, but out of all the agents you know who have retired, what percentage of them retired happy with their experience with ATF? I've pondered this question for the past couple of days because I didnt want to exaggerate, but "I" would estimate 40% have retired with a positive experience, which means 60% have not. Keep in mind, this percentage comes from the agents I have personally known. Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts and percentages?

#4 Iceman

Iceman

Regular

• Moderators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:22 AM

Remember when our Director said something and DIDN'T constantly reverse himself? Remember when senior managers were held accountable for their abuses. When a Director wouldn't make excuses? When a boss would be removed if he said "I do know or I don't recall" more than 2 or 3 times. Remember when the lawyers didn't run this agency. When the agency loved our legends, not attacked them? These are very sad days.

Remember when your supervisor had more experience than the people they supervised? When the bosses made decisions without first calling Chief counsels Office? Remember when your bosses made decisions based on the facts of a cases and not their own personal gain? When ATF bosses fought anyone who would tread on our jurisdiction. Remember when the bosses would not lie because there was NO excuse for lying under oath. I can remember all of this, albeit a very long time ago.

#5 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Remember when your supervisor had more experience than the people they supervised? When the bosses made decisions without first calling Chief counsels Office? Remember when your bosses made decisions based on the facts of a cases and not their own personal gain? When ATF bosses fought anyone who would tread on our jurisdiction. Remember when the bosses would not lie because there was NO excuse for lying under oath. I can remember all of this, albeit a very long time ago.

#6 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

Remember When......We had a Director by the name of Steve Higgins, who most, if not all agents respected that man, and admired him greatly. Now look at us!

#7 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

Remember when;;;;;;Remember when being a Senior agent meant something, like being able to pick the new cars first, or able to pick the best office.

#8 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Remember When......When we had to work only non adoptive gun cases, which meant you had to flat foot it making several interviews before taking it to the Federal Attorney? Now...A police department makes the case for us and does most of the work on their own. When its given to an ATF agent, he makes a few changes and hands it over to the USA so the Federal prosecutor could deny it. Or if he happens to accept it, the agent gets a (tick) mark for bringing in someone elses work, and getting credit for it.

#9 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Yeah I remember when..................we didnt need to be told to not waste taxpayer money. My first training officer popped me in the head the first time I tried to fill my G ride with full service gas. He said, "you aint spendin your own money, it taxpayer money". so from that point on I knew we had standards. Apparently this regime forgot those days. How does a 1.1 Billion dollar budget require the restraints we now have? Couldnt be poor planning and lack of foresight could it? Must be some agents fault. We are seeing the end of a great bureau. Thanks you Melson, Hoover, Chait, Martin and Ford.

Remember When - We had to pass an extremely difficult test to become an ATF agent.

(please feel free to post your Remember When)

#10 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

Remember When - We had to pass an extremely difficult test to become an ATF agent. (please feel free to post your Remember When)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users