#1 Swampdog

Swampdog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWhere the gators hunt

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

I wish anyone that goes somewhere else good luck. A lot of people that grumble about being passed over for promotion are no better than the people selected. In my observations, most of the great agents I know in this agency do not try to promote. That leaves the quick rising, non case working agent to promote. Everyone is always a better agent in their mind. Most RAC's I've worked for spent less than 4 years as a POA. If you want to go work for DHS/ICE/HSI or whatever their name is this week.....God Speed. Actions will speak louder than words. Any decent ATF agent that goes anywhere else will do well. That's what we do. The hiring process has been messed up for years. You honestly think anyone cares if one of us leaves? We are all frustrated, just not sure jumping ship is the answer.

#2 apostate

apostate

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

That my friends is exactly what the problem is. Instead of working harder. People have the view that we should cut and run. I would rather go cut grass than go work for ICE. I would like to know what type of agents left and went to ICE. Nothing against them, I am glad that they are happier somewhere else. Why try to get all the younger agents to leave, let them make their own opinion. Vince is exactly right, stay here, make cases, and do what ATF does best. Put violent assholes in prison.

DHS is hiring and promotes indviduals based upon experience, hard work, number of investigations. They have money for training and promote career advancement. ATF just cancelled its assessment center and all training the next 2 years. Word from buddies at ATF HQ is that there is already talk of a RIF for newer employees in 2012 because of budget woes while ATF management will continue to give themselves outrageous bonuses.

ATF does not give preference points in the hiring of Veterans as required by law and appears to go out their way to intentionally exclude Vets from the hiring process.

Thinking back on my career in ATF I cannot remember one promotion given to someone based upon merit and hard work. I could list 20 ASAC's, SAC's RAC's who never did an investigation/prosecution, controlled purchase, sign up a CI. Hard work in ATF will get you nowhere and typically results in agents being jammed-up because their Nforce was not up to date or were over the 5 day ROI limit. I have witnessed this first hand dozens of times in ATF and experienced it myself.

Word is quite a few very hard working agents are looking at leaving ATF. Can you honestly blame them?

#3 Swampdog

Swampdog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWhere the gators hunt

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

That my friends is exactly what the problem is. Instead of working harder. People have the view that we should cut and run. I would rather go cut grass than go work for ICE. I would like to know what type of agents left and went to ICE. Nothing against them, I am glad that they are happier somewhere else. Why try to get all the younger agents to leave, let them make their own opinion. Vince is exactly right, stay here, make cases, and do what ATF does best. Put violent assholes in prison.

#4 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

It is true. Jay and I have been scapegoated and identified as some kind of outlaws. You all know what we have done, tried to do, and failed at. You have known us for 20 yrs. None of what has or is occurring, justifies turning your back on ATF, If the faulty leadership of those responsible result in ATF being abolished or diminished they (the Domenechs, Bouchards, Carters, Martins, Crenshaws, Gleysteens and Fords) have won. They DO NOT care. They have sealed their SES jobs and still try to get more.I was told years ago by my mentors, one being SA Dobyns, "the best way to drive the bureaucrats crazy" is to make cases. When I left the U S Customs service with SA Tuerler and Langley, everybody at Customs who had left ATF to go to Customs, told us we should kill ourselves. We came anyway. We made more cases, disrupted more gangs and chased more bombers than ever in the history of the Bureau. The bar was set high by the likes of Ariel Rios, Eddie Benitez, Alex Datri'. We rose, we learned, we survived Waco. We cannot allow a fifth floor of bureaucrats and non law enforcement Agents to destroy the credibility and relelvance of this agency, If they want a lofty position or a kewl project somewhere else, so be it, but we arent leaving. Nobody can or will do what we do,EVER. With Congressional commitment, we can cull out the posers and get the workers back where they belong. Mr. Melson and Traver have been provided enough info to know they are selling us out. Yet have initiated NOT one mechanism for the field to be included. Virtually ever directorete has now been shown to be ineffective, Gun runner is a joke, NRT is all but lost, Martin and Riehl have decimated our NRT and explosives program. The word comes out that OSII was cut out of tracking the fast and furious case where we walked 700 guns. Dont leave YOUR Bureau, help us run off those who have and will dessimate whats left of our agency. Do not Throw out the baby with the bath water. ATF will survive, even if the fifth floor and Traver dont.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

#5 castrati

castrati
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationdc

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Just heard ICE will be announcing vacancy opening in a few weeks. I know quite a few ATF agents who grew tired of the mistreatment at the hands of ATF mgt and lack of career advancement. They took laterals over to ICE. I keep in touch with them and they all are really happy that they decided to leave ATF. Two of the guys got their 14 in less than two years. Didn't ATF just cancel the assessment center so SESer's could receive their $50,000 bonuses? All of you younger ATF agents should consider this move as it appears ATF as an agency has no viable future. DHS receives all of the funding now while ATF fights FBI and DEA for funds and always loses. ICE is looking for agents with firearms, arson and bomb investigation experience and will reward you for your hard work and support your investigations. When was the last time your SAC/ASAC did a thing to support agents' investigative efforts? Most were more concerned with getting their bonuses and screwing over their agents. See Jay D and Vince C as an example

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users