• Please log in to reply
1315 replies to this topic

#501 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Murderer of Brian Terry extradited and arraigned in Tucson today.

http://www.latimes.c...0619-story.html

#502 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

Under the heading of DOES HQ/JONES AND BRANDON HAVE A SINGLE CLUE WHAT THEIR LEADERSHIP IS UP TO?
SAC BJ Zapor inserted himself as the undercover operative in an ongoing investigation by invoking his authority to do so. And Asac Milanawski said and did nothing. This was reckless and irresponsible. What is worse is Mr Jones testified to Congress that he had complete confidence. Zapor was heard to say this was his big FU to Hq.

BJ forces himself into an undercover operation and assigns himself as the UC agent to buy a machine gun.

He then takes post op trophy shots and tells the agents that this is his FU to HQ and that he is getting his last hurrah.

This was done against the wishes of the case agent who I understand is a good young agent but he got run over.

Op plans need to be approved by an ASAC who for Phoenix is Milanowski.

Op plans needed to be reviewed by a Division Tactical Advisor who failed in his or her duties by approving this.

Critical: Not known if the suspect was arrested or in custody or if this case is ongoing.

BJ is the SAC that Jones has Full Confidence in and sent him to of all places Phoenix to pull a stunt like this.

His judgement for field ops was already in question and this confirmed it. ATF is his personal playground.

This was not only unsafe and outside policy (managers, at least ASAC and above are not permitted to work UC) but placed undue risk to the cover team.

BJ has no current uc experience and his game is being described as dangerous to all involved.

Jones, Brandon, Turk and the DAD West have no control over or knowledge of what their SAC's are doing. Or they did and that makes them culpable.

Given the people involved, this is beyond outrageous.

This is UNPRECEDENTED CONDUCT for a Special agent in charge.

If true, and the word on the street is that it is, I think this is hilarious.  Dude came in as an agent and wanted to got out as one (I am assuming.  I have not spoken to him.).  I am not going to enter the debate beyond this.  More than what BJ did or didn't do is that he is getting the last laugh.  Not many people leave here with that.  I wanted to exit like this.  I had the offers to go out with some "street" under my belt during my last week.  I didn't have the stones to accept the opportunity.  Kinda wish I had now.

#503 Iceman

Iceman

Regular

• Moderators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Under the heading of DOES HQ/JONES AND BRANDON HAVE A SINGLE CLUE WHAT THEIR LEADERSHIP IS UP TO?
SAC BJ Zapor inserted himself as the undercover operative in an ongoing investigation by invoking his authority to do so. And Asac Milanawski said and did nothing. This was reckless and irresponsible. What is worse is Mr Jones testified to Congress that he had complete confidence. Zapor was heard to say this was his big FU to Hq.

BJ forces himself into an undercover operation and assigns himself as the UC agent to buy a machine gun.

He then takes post op trophy shots and tells the agents that this is his FU to HQ and that he is getting his last hurrah.

This was done against the wishes of the case agent who I understand is a good young agent but he got run over.

Op plans need to be approved by an ASAC who for Phoenix is Milanowski.

Op plans needed to be reviewed by a Division Tactical Advisor who failed in his or her duties by approving this.

Critical: Not known if the suspect was arrested or in custody or if this case is ongoing.

BJ is the SAC that Jones has Full Confidence in and sent him to of all places Phoenix to pull a stunt like this.

His judgement for field ops was already in question and this confirmed it. ATF is his personal playground.

This was not only unsafe and outside policy (managers, at least ASAC and above are not permitted to work UC) but placed undue risk to the cover team.

BJ has no current uc experience and his game is being described as dangerous to all involved.

Jones, Brandon, Turk and the DAD West have no control over or knowledge of what their SAC's are doing. Or they did and that makes them culpable.

Given the people involved, this is beyond outrageous.

This is UNPRECEDENTED CONDUCT for a Special agent in charge.

#504 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Jay,

A real man admits his mistakes. Long before you took the time to respond to my post, I knew that you would be that guy. Thanks. Your apology wasn't necessary, but it is none the less accepted.

Keep the faith.

#505 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Mr. Heisenberg,

Your response to my article caused me great concern.  I was embarassed that my words were insulting to you and your child.  It caused me to look again at my language.  I understand that this topic is very personal for you, as it should be.  I again oppologize for any distress I caused you with my writing.  What I wanted to articulate was that if someone unwittingly arrives in an undercover investigation and has a mental defiency, that defiency should not cause an investigator to ignore potential violence.  I should have delinated that explanation from my examples of mass murderers with insanity issues.  They are in no way one in the same and yes, are clearly quite different "apples and oranges" as you pointed out.

4."ATF USES PERSONS WITH MENTAL DEFICIENCIES TO FURTHER THEIR OPERATIONS"

I am not going to defend any police operation seeking out a person who is not at full mental capacity to offer unwitting assistance. We as an agency and as individual agents are better than that.

But, if a person of diminished intelligence volunteers himself into an covert police operation, should their violence, or potential for it, give them a free pass? Are you "less dead" if the bullet that struck you was fired from the hand of someone handicapped vs. someone healthy?

Based on many of the current public arguments suggesting undercover operations take a "hands off" approach when encountering persons with a mental or emotion handicap - using that reasoning - had ATF's undercovers encountered Eric Harris and Dylan Klybold, Jared Loughner, James Eagan Holmes, Jeffrey Weise, Seung-Hui Cho, Adam Lanza or Elliot Rodger; they would have been prevented from further investigative action. Each were mass murderers using firearms and determined to have varying levels of mental disturbance. It's not the gun that commits the crime, it's the hand of a twisted mind holding it. ATF's undercovers pursue both.

Ask the families of the victims, their friends, their communities, even the friends and families of the gunmen if they would have preferred that the shooters had first encountered an ATF undercover agent. If we could, ask the victims. With all the crime guns purchased and seized and the all the suspects with bad intent who possess them arrested under these operations, imagine for a moment the potential for many more tragedies that have been prevented by ATF's undercover work.

Great policing is not only reactionary, it is also disrupting, preventative and proactive.

#506 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Wow Jay. Congratulations on the article. It was very well written. I applaud your defense of the undercovers.

As the parent of a child with a severe learning disability due to an incident during childbirth, I do have to question lumpimg people with learning disabilities into the same category as the insane. It's apples and oranges Jay. You may have shot yourself in the foot with that portion of an othewise brilliantly written article.

My most sincere appologies.  I was wrong with my word choice and attempted explanation for an allegation.  I regret that I didn't take more time to think that through and offer better clarity.  I never intended to insult all the wonderful and good people who deal with the issues your child has.  I am truly sorry that I offended you and would never cast any insult like that with a malicious intent.  I own what I wrote and take responsiblity for failing at an explanation.  My intent was to address allegations that ATF recruits persons with dimiminished mental capacities to assist in investigations.  I extend my very best wishes to you and your child.  I believe if you knew me better you would know that I carry a great deal of compassion for those less fortunate.  I don't know what to say other than I am sorry I offended you and your family.

#507 spinax489

spinax489

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

Just finished reading the article Jay... well done !!!!

#508 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Wow Jay. Congratulations on the article. It was very well written. I applaud your defense of the undercovers.

As the parent of a child with a severe learning disability due to an incident during childbirth, I do have to question lumpimg people with learning disabilities into the same category as the insane. It's apples and oranges Jay. You may have shot yourself in the foot with that portion of an othewise brilliantly written article.

#509 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

I semi-regularly read Town Hall.  I never perceived them as "the enemy," but that's because I've always been hard-working, honest, and dedicated.  I believe in the US Constitution.  I can't say the same about ATF management, such as "One-Case" and "Wonder Boy."  THEY are "the enemy" because they are the ones who regularly ignore the law and abuse their authority.  Town Hall, in my opinion, has always supported rank-and-file LE who put their lives on the line every day.  But they will call a spade a spade.

The best thing you could do for ATF and for the American taxpayer is to use your column on Town Hall to call out the abuses, the malfeasance, the nonfeasance and the misfeasance which regularly occur at the Puzzle Palace and at each Division office.

I don't have a column there.  I was a one time guest.  I am one man.  I have given up trying to make any change.  I am just trying to educate and inform and now I can do it without the sissies who get thier feelings hurt when you speak the truth firing back on me for payback.  That means you Turk.  Don't think I've forgotten what you tried to do on orders from Jones and Brandon.  You're all lucky I didn't file on that because all three were dead to rights on retaliation and it could have cost you your jobs.

#510 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

I semi-regularly read Town Hall.  I never perceived them as "the enemy," but that's because I've always been hard-working, honest, and dedicated.  I believe in the US Constitution.  I can't say the same about ATF management, such as "One-Case" and "Wonder Boy."  THEY are "the enemy" because they are the ones who regularly ignore the law and abuse their authority.  Town Hall, in my opinion, has always supported rank-and-file LE who put their lives on the line every day.  But they will call a spade a spade.

The best thing you could do for ATF and for the American taxpayer is to use your column on Town Hall to call out the abuses, the malfeasance, the nonfeasance and the misfeasance which regularly occur at the Puzzle Palace and at each Division office.

#511 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

I was invited to be a guest columnist at Townhall.com.  This is a big deal inside the beltway.  Congress and Judges read this site every day.  They published a piece I wrote tonight.  Trying to take up for my boys and girls in the undercover world from the public ass beating they've been taking.

And don't get all - "he's sleeping with the enemy" on me.  I never stopped loving the agents, especially the ones who put themselves on the line.  I am not down at all for the cowards who call the shots.  Resignations are needed.

http://townhall.com/...50635/page/full

#512 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

It is difficult. Our entry exam is much harder than many local police exams. We also have a polygraph that is much harder than many state and local polygraph examinations. We get a huge number of applicants for the number of openings we have. For the most part, we have it a lot better than most of our state and local counterparts. We make a lot more money and most agents don't work nearly as hard.

We also get a take home vehicle, paid gas, tolls and other things that state and local cops would kill for. We have leadership problems, but so do many state and local agencies. In fact, I know an HSI agent who has been proposed for termination for swearing in the office after "Blowing thr Whistle" on misconduct in HSI. They are trying to terminate him for "conduct unbecoming a special agent".

Law enforcement is NOT what it used to be. Honor has been replaced with talentless ambition.

I thought swearing in the office was mandatory conduct for a special agent.  Then again maybe thats part of the reason I'm in the position I'm in.  Haha.

#513 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

It is difficult. Our entry exam is much harder than many local police exams. We also have a polygraph that is much harder than many state and local polygraph examinations. We get a huge number of applicants for the number of openings we have. For the most part, we have it a lot better than most of our state and local counterparts. We make a lot more money and most agents don't work nearly as hard.

We also get a take home vehicle, paid gas, tolls and other things that state and local cops would kill for. We have leadership problems, but so do many state and local agencies. In fact, I know an HSI agent who has been proposed for termination for swearing in the office after "Blowing thr Whistle" on misconduct in HSI. They are trying to terminate him for "conduct unbecoming a special agent".

Law enforcement is NOT what it used to be. Honor has been replaced with talentless ambition.

I hope the HSI agent goes to the OSC AND the MSPB.  Civil court takes too long.  The media is also a good stop. 

#514 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Recieved this message from an agent.  I don't know the facts of this situation so I can't comment but the agent was fearful of retaliation and asked me to post on their behalf.  Agree or disagree with the comments this is a display of the passion of those in the field.  Powerful sentiment from someone committed to just having a good place to work.  Again, can't comment with any authority on these specifics since I am unfamiliar with the situation but I can say that from personal observation and from female agent friends over the years many women in ATF get manipulated and abused professionally.

"Let me give you some insight on Robin Shoemaker - She's an AGENT's AGENT and for the most part in the Columbus Field Division it was the RACS who had the problem with her and the NON-working Agents !!!!!  Did she micro-manage -I'd say yes but she also put the hammer down on the EGOTISTICAL RACS that think they are Gods gift to this AGENCY. That was Robin's crime - supporting the field agents over RACS.  More than half of our Field Division supported her and wrote in for her suppoet.  HQ met with NONE of the supporters, they only met with the RACS (a few who supported her the good ones a couple) and the CRAZY Division ADM personnel who are so crazy -Division hasnt been able to have a Christmas Party, a tree, not a single item of any HOLIDAY decoration cause of infighting and filing.  It is so bad among the Division ADMin that former SAC took thier HIP time away.  Robin thinking she was doing a good thing gave it back.  robin loved local law enforcement and loved out TFO's.  She's the first SAC in this division to allow them to travel on big roundups, training and got them I-phones.  Robin's crime in the ATF big picture she supported working Agents.  She has never had a bad E-vale, usually outstanding, has never once been investigated and HAD SHE BEEN A MAN someone would have picked up the phone and supported her.  HAD she been a MAN they would have picked up the phone and said "hey we are hearing things what the fucks goign on -you need to back off"  but no HQ to include ZAPOR (who gave her an outstanding EVAL prior to this shit) listens to the RACS etc ACTUALLY meets with many of them and RIPS her out !!!!!!!!!!!!  Never met with her to hear her side of things.. NEVER met with HER.  Hell no and as soon as Boxlier got here and met with us - He said and I quote - Decision making is back with the RACS -they KNOW their people and you will foloow the chain of command !!!!  so we are back to the favorites of the RACS getting the best cars, the best training the best cubicles etc...at least ROBIN had the balls to put a stop to that shit-but I guess thats micromanaging !!!?????  Where was ZAPOR in the mix? Supporting TURK and HQ against Robin. ...I call that fucking disgusting.  she did NOTHING wrong but was banished to NJ .  I look at most of ATF management that truly FUCKS up and gets rewarded, what was Robins reward?  She is super smart, compassinate, and has given everything to this Agency to get SHIT on.  So for the individuals saying she's crazy etc they say the same damn thing about you.  I know so much more about this incident ... Plus HQ knows they stepped on it with Shoemaker she is not going to back down nor should she. there is much more but I dont have time to go into it all."

#515 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

By today's process, I am confident that I could not compete with, or be hired over the applicants in today's market seeking to become ATF agents - all things being equal between today's prosepctive agents and me at 25 years old and with my then existing experience and education.

With that said, a greater knowledge, education and experience does not neccessarily make you a better agent.  It does give you a head start and a more solid base to begin.

I view it like athletics.  The best players are not always the biggest, strongest or fastest.  Very often the ones who are the most "hungry" prove to be the stars.  You can't measure passion, heart, resilliency, energy, etc., with a stop watch or a measuring tape.  That just comes out in those that have it and it never emerges from those that don't.

#516 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

#517 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

I'm not surprised; I'm angered.  And so should the American taxpayer.

I keep reading on another website on how "difficult" it is to become a special agent, in that only the best of the best get hired.

I don't see it that way anymore, especially with this outfit.

#518 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

Why does that surprise you? Half the bosses in this outfit are in positions that they are not qualiified for.

#519 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

Vince, needless to say, no, it doesn't surprise me.  But it still makes me angry that certain people think they're above the law.

Post Script, in regard to the u/c who was exposed, that Division's solution was to give that agent a specialized position for which, arguably, he is not qualified.  Again, ATF bosses can ignore their own directives and standards.

#520 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Most residential explosions, in my ten year + experience, are generally due to gas leaks [natural gas, propane]. So it's a real easy scene to show up at and wave the ATF flag.

Off on a tangent, is it true that an ATF Division completely blew the cover of its undercover agent by releasing audio, with his voice clearly audible, in that Division's attempt to boost its public image? The audio, from u/c deals, was given to the media which used it during the nightly news and on the web.

Yes, the audio had to be played in court, but that dissemination is pretty limited. After all, the defendants already heard the u/c's voice. But putting his voice on the internet allows hundreds of local thugs to hear his voice now.

Couldn't this be considered a release of law enforcement sensitive information? Where's Main DOJ and OIG now?

At the very least its showboating. I filed a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel when they GAVE AWAY our entire playbook on murder for hires. They were extremely distressedby it. BUT at the end of the day their legal opinion was that no matter how reckless it was, the Director will merely say Executive privalage to violate his own policies. They are chasing positive press and dont vare who gets hurt in the process. To answer your question, of course its an unethical release of LE sensitive information. Does this shock you?
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

#521 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Most residential explosions, in my ten year + experience, are generally due to gas leaks [natural gas, propane].  So it's a real easy scene to show up at and wave the ATF flag. 

Off on a tangent, is it true that an ATF Division completely blew the cover of its undercover agent by releasing audio, with his voice clearly audible, in that Division's attempt to boost its public image?  The audio, from u/c deals, was given to the media which used it during the nightly news and on the web.

Yes, the audio had to be played in court, but that dissemination is pretty limited.  After all, the defendants already heard the u/c's voice.  But putting his voice on the internet allows hundreds of local thugs to hear his voice now.

Couldn't this be considered a release of law enforcement sensitive information?  Where's Main DOJ and OIG now?

#522 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

For those interested here is a link to a blog post I launched in response to an article I read today about ATF's response to a house fire and explosion in Kansas City - they got in right in KC.  Well done.  This is how it's done.  They got it all wrong in Tucson.

http://blog.jaydobynsgroup.com/

#523 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Has anyone seen ATFs response to Congress that were due yeaterday?

#524 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

B. Todd and Brandon,

Your responses to the questions Congress asked on May 16 are due on Monday.  It will be most interesting to see how you choose to answer regarding the Internal Affairs Division, the Professional Review Board and the Bureau Deciding Official inquiries.

"We understand that ATF's Internal Affairs Division typically reviews all complaints and allegations involving ATF personnel and generates a report for ATF's Professional Review Board.  The Professional Review Board then assesses each finding of misconduct and determines whether to propose discipline or adverse action to ATF's deciding official."

-Actual Excerpt from letter:

attachicon.gifCongressional Letter Excerpt 05.16.14.jpg

attachicon.gifcongressional-letter-to-atf-5-16-14-2013.pdf

I know that you know that I know your dirty little secret.  I am not being coy.  I am not legally allowed to discuss this yet.  Numerous people with insider information and amidst your inner circle know as well.  Can you get all of them on board and organized to cover it up or blame me for it by Monday?  This is a very slippery slope. 

You guys have a nice weekend now.

J

LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

Can anyone make sense of the spinning promotion/demotion of the SAC who was removed from the Ohio field division. If we are tracking this, Oversight or Sen. Sensenbrenner should expand their inquiry. Congress is closely tracking CLEANUPATF. It has been said, "the media and CLEANUPATF are the only way they know whats going on inside ATF". Scary huh? If we are tracking correctly, this SAC was pulled unceremoniously due to a near mutiny. She was then sent to be SAC in Newark BUT NEVER TOOK THE REIGNS. Where was she and what was she doing? SIDENOTE, she would not have been removed without the efforts of the then Ombudsman. This angered MANY SACs who thought the Ombudsmans office had to much power.

After a period as a no show SAC in Newark, she was made an Assistant Director of HR. The after Cleanupatf OUTTED Mr. Jones for even CONSIDERING keep her as a manager, shes now going BACK to a SAC job in Newark. Is this correct? Is there soemthing thats been left out? You cant make this S@#$ up.

#525 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Jim Lightfoot GETS IT.

#526 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Jay,

I agree with you on this one. Ariel Rios was an ATF hero who was slain in the line of duty, while Ness was technically an IRS employee, if I am not mistaken. I'd welcome Ariel's name on our Headquarters. I thought it was a sin that his name was removed from the Treasury Building.

Ness had his glory. Now it's time to honor another hero. Ariel was a great guy. It would be a nice tribute.

#527 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Some good news for a change.

Last Friday the House passed the 2015 Commerce, Justice and Science Appropriations Bill which included the language to place Ariel Rios's name on ATF's headquarters building.  The bill still needs to survive the Senate.

The fact that current management either wants the building to be named after Eliot Ness or has made no public comment is tragic in my view.

Respect and thanks to Congressman Jim Lightfoot (ret.) for his resiliency and effort to support this cause.

#528 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:36 PM

I applaud the VA Secretary for stepping down. I wish others would follow his example.  I wish more people would say "the buck stops here."  Semper Fi for some and always with others.

Shinseki stepped down as a 4 star general, two two tours in Nam, three bronze stars and a purple heart.  In spite of his mistakes he left stepped away and appears to be owning it without blaming others.  Imagine that.  Word is that he has lost control and the respect of those under him and his subordinates were just doing what they wanted.  Sound familiar?  We got two Marines and an Army boss up there and they run this place like Stripes.

#529 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

B. Todd and Brandon,

Your responses to the questions Congress asked on May 16 are due on Monday.  It will be most interesting to see how you choose to answer regarding the Internal Affairs Division, the Professional Review Board and the Bureau Deciding Official inquiries.

"We understand that ATF's Internal Affairs Division typically reviews all complaints and allegations involving ATF personnel and generates a report for ATF's Professional Review Board.  The Professional Review Board then assesses each finding of misconduct and determines whether to propose discipline or adverse action to ATF's deciding official."

attachicon.gifCongressional Letter Excerpt 05.16.14.jpg

attachicon.gifcongressional-letter-to-atf-5-16-14-2013.pdf

I know that you know that I know your dirty little secret.  I am not being coy.  I am not legally allowed to discuss this yet.  Numerous people with insider information and amidst your inner circle know as well.  Can you get all of them on board and organized to cover it up or blame me for it by Monday?  This is a very slippery slope. 

J

I applaud the VA Secretary for stepping down. I wish others would follow his example.  I wish more people would say "the buck stops here."  Semper Fi for some sometimes and always with others.

#530 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

B. Todd and Brandon,

Attached File  Congressional Letter Excerpt 05.16.14.jpg   155.11KB   14 downloads

Attached File  congressional-letter-to-atf-5-16-14-2013.pdf   1.01MB   22 downloads

J

#531 Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Retired Agent Jay Dobyns

Regular

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

http://www.standardn.../390419299.html

Judicial Watch Sues Department of Justice on Behalf of ATF Fast & Furious Whistleblower Dodson

WASHINGTON, May 29, 2014 / -- Judicial Watch announced today that on May 28, 2014, it filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the U.S. Departments of Justice (DOJ) on behalf of ATF Fast and Furious whistleblower Special Agent John Dodson.

For the record and as a witness if needed, I have several FOIA's DOJ and ATF decided to ignore.  One in particular was interesting. I asked how and why an ATF Agent convicted of gun and drug trafficking felonies - while awaiting his punishment and attempting to reduce his prison sentence by working for/cooperating with the FBI - had contacted me on several occasions, unsolicited, to ask me critical questions about my lawsuit. 

#532 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

With all this talk about GS-14's and above being moved [at the taxpayer's expense] for one reason or another, I still can't fathom how The WonderBoy, the Prince of the City in a Large Northeast Division, has gotten to spend his WHOLE career in that Division [his two months in another field office, a twenty mile commute in the opposite direction, doesn't count, especially since he spent the entire time there crying like a bitch how he had no contacts there and couldn't do any cases].  He got promoted to GS-14 in his group [although he could have been moved to one of the other four groups in that city] and he's been acting ASAC for the most part of the past three years.  The rules have been bent for him, while he ignores rules so that he can screw over underlings like me.  If Himself is so wonderful, why isn't Himself spending time at HQ to share his WonderBoy-ness with the rest of the agency?

How many of us have had to move during our career?

#533 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

http://m.townhall.co...dodson-n1845051

MORE TRANSPARENCY? GOTTA LOVE A DOJ THAT HAS TO WITH OLD DOCUMENTS. WAY TO LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

#534 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Another great audit for the OIG or GAO would be #1 How many GS' 14 AND ABOVE TRANSFERS HAVE OCCURRED WHERE THE TRANSFER WAS THE SECOND WITHIN LESS THAN ONE TO 1 1/2 YEARS? WHY ARE SENIOR EXECS SPENDING $150000 PER MOVE AND BEING TRANSFERRED OUT OF THAT POSITION. This decays consistency of leadership and prevents accountability BECAUSE there is no one there to be held accountable. DIDNT HAPPEN ON MY WATCH. Cant hit a moving target. Id also like to see the funds expended attacking field agents VS the amount spent to discipline corrupt managers.

I hope the powers that be outside of ATF look into the executive bonuses ATF leaders received just like the VA OIG is now doing to see how much money was given for "superior performance."

#535 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

June 2 is the deadline for Director Jones to respond to a Congressional inquiry regarding the manipulation of the Titanic deck chairs. AGAIN. I predict something along the lines of, "Sirs" due to privacy act regulations we are currently unable to provide exact responses to your inquiries. HOWEVER, rest assured every attempt was made to hold fully accountable Mr. Zapor and Mr. Milanawski. Due to the scheduling of the professional review board. Mr. Zapor announced his retirement before the agency could act. Much like was the case with George Gillette who stayed in full supervisory pay status until the very last minute when he retired. We would like to point out that Mr. Zapor was demoted one level, (although he was transferring home and didnt lose a dime). As for Mr. Milanawski, we made him come back to headquarters AGAIN and basically hoped you didnt notice. We are however aggressively pursuing actions against Jon Dodson, Vincent Cefalu and Jay Dobyns as well as countless other line agents for exposing the acts of your inquiry. As for transferring multiple SES bosses after less than one year in their current positions, we needed to burn up move money before the end of the year. Yes Mr. Atteberry and others are costing the taxpayers Millions in repeated moves, but at this time we are unable to explain why. We hope this satisfies your concerns with the efficient running of ATF.

Did I get it close?

I hope the powers that be outside of ATF look into the executive bonuses ATF leaders received just like the VA OIG is now doing to see how much money was given for "superior performance."

#536 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

June 2 is the deadline for Director Jones to respond to a Congressional inquiry regarding the manipulation of the Titanic deck chairs. AGAIN. I predict something along the lines of, "Sirs" due to privacy act regulations we are currently unable to provide exact responses to your inquiries. HOWEVER, rest assured every attempt was made to hold fully accountable Mr. Zapor and Mr. Milanawski. Due to the scheduling of the professional review board. Mr. Zapor announced his retirement before the agency could act. Much like was the case with George Gillette who stayed in full supervisory pay status until the very last minute when he retired. We would like to point out that Mr. Zapor was demoted one level, (although he was transferring home and didnt lose a dime). As for Mr. Milanawski, we made him come back to headquarters AGAIN and basically hoped you didnt notice. We are however aggressively pursuing actions against Jon Dodson, Vincent Cefalu and Jay Dobyns as well as countless other line agents for exposing the acts of your inquiry. As for transferring multiple SES bosses after less than one year in their current positions, we needed to burn up move money before the end of the year. Yes Mr. Atteberry and others are costing the taxpayers Millions in repeated moves, but at this time we are unable to explain why. We hope this satisfies your concerns with the efficient running of ATF.

Did I get it close?

#537 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

To answer your question: YES.

I would want the senior leaders who failed to lead fired. I would want the mid-level managers who fail to perform fired and I would want the underperforming workers to either shape up, or be fired. If we were a business, like Target, we would have gone under long before half of our work force was born. No question about it. ATF needs reform, so does most of the government. It's a disgrace.

ATF isn't my first job. I had a few jobs before I came on board and I worked for police departments in two cities. Neither provided me with a car, paid gas, decent working quarters or many of the things that we needed to get the work done, but we managed. That went for the bosses too. Other than the Chief, nobody got a car. We managed and the abyssmal working conditions brought the guys together, including the sergeants, lieutenant, captains and majors. Everybody pulled their weight or there were REPERCUSSIONS. At. ATF a lot of people have the world by the balls, yet they still cry like babies. That includes MANY bosses. In most places you earn things, here people cry loud enough and get what they want. The "squeeky wheel get the oil" treatment, and some have used it to climb the ranks without an ounce of police in them. It is those people who have ruined this agency and itmis they that I detest.

#538 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Goodworker-
If that were to happen, who would you recommend we replace them with? I'm just curious.

If you look at the results of the recent survey that was sent to the ATF employees, the top of our hierarchy was rated better than our ADs, DADs SACs and ASACS. We have some very talented people in this agency, but why haven't they been promoted, bur perhaps more appropriately, why won't they promote? We've had a couple of good promotions in the past few years, but nowhere near enough and the vultures of our agency are still raising their hands to promote at a higher rate than the eagles.

We have some great 13s and 14s who need to step up if we are to survive as an agency. Many don't want to because they don't want to move. Keep in mind that if we fold our tents and get merged into another agency, you may not have a choice.

The recent survey was not sent to everyone in the agency so how are the results going to be an accurate sample of ATF employees points of view?  For those people who get the "invitation" to complete the survey, many will not fill it out because they are concerned that ATF will find out who expressed a negative view.  ATF is not that big that so why doesn't ATF send the "invitation" to everyone?  Without a doubt there are some good leaders in ATF and as you know, being at least a GS-14, that there is a BQL when the job is announced.  If you do not make the BQL, you do not get an interview.  We all know that the deciding official has his or her favorite and the process is not the most legit in many promotion selections.  So I counter your claim that some good 13s or 14s need to step up and put in for job announcements as many good 13s and 14s do put in for jobs but if and when the new boss helps his or her candidate get the job, the cycle continues.  I know a few 15s and two SACs that I liked working for because they were fair and professional.  I do not want to list them as we all know that this forum is monitored by people who do not like this forum.  But I must ask you getting back to my original point, if you were a stock holder in the Target corp, wouldn't you want the people out who caused you to lose so much money and damage to your reputation to be replaced?

#539 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Goodworker-
If that were to happen, who would you recommend we replace them with? I'm just curious.

If you look at the results of the recent survey that was sent to the ATF employees, the top of our hierarchy was rated better than our ADs, DADs SACs and ASACS. We have some very talented people in this agency, but why haven't they been promoted, bur perhaps more appropriately, why won't they promote? We've had a couple of good promotions in the past few years, but nowhere near enough and the vultures of our agency are still raising their hands to promote at a higher rate than the eagles.

We have some great 13s and 14s who need to step up if we are to survive as an agency. Many don't want to because they don't want to move. Keep in mind that if we fold our tents and get merged into another agency, you may not have a choice.

#540 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Doc:
I don't expect ATF to make sensible staffing positions on its own.  ATF will have any reforms forced on it, like an enema.  And hopefully then, the bosses will be forcibly evacuated from the bowels of divisions and HQ.

Abteilung,

I believe you are correct.  It is funny how the Target Corporation has gotten rid of their top 2-3 leaders because of the security compromise last year that caused Target shoppers to lose confidence in the Target credit card system.  Target lost 50% of its normal sales for that period.  That is what you call accountability and it will not be likely that new leadership will forget this lesson learned.  Maybe we should bring some Target board members to ATF to clean this place up.

#541 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Happy Memorial day. BE SAFE

#542 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Doc:
I don't expect ATF to make sensible staffing positions on its own.  ATF will have any reforms forced on it, like an enema.  And hopefully then, the bosses will be forcibly evacuated from the bowels of divisions and HQ.

#543 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

Interesting points. I remember when New York covered half of New Jersey. I also remember when Los Angeles covered Phoenix. The agency has grown. No doubt about it. Unless you talk about the number of actual agents. That has been stagnant for decades.

Why not merge groups in divisions where we have 2 or 3 groups of 3 or 4 agents? How do you do any real enforcement activity with 2 or 3 agents? Not possible. Create less bosses and make more effective, robust groups. Sounds like a no-brainer, right?

Another thing that always perplexed me was our command structure. Most law enforcement or military organizations have a rank structure that looks like a pyramid, with few people sitting at the top. Ours looks more like a trapezoid- flat on top. Why in God's name is the head of OPRSO or OST the same pay grade as the head of Field Ops? It doesn't make any sense at all. Too many empires and too many Emperors.

#544 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Stop the joke which is the Newark Division and just eliminate it.  Turn all of NJ over to New York.  One less SAC, two less ASAC's, one less DOO, one less Intel Supervisor, one less SOO, one less DTA, one less FIC.  [does Newark have a PIO, while we're at it?  A GS-13 PIO is probably the biggest waste of a -13, especially when any PIO is an idiot.]

Put a few more agents back into groups to produce cases; meanwhile, less bosses is always a good idea.

While we're at it, get rid of Baltimore too.  Turn it all over to Washington FD.  Again, less bosses, more agents to produce cases.

After all, isn't ATF supposed to produce good cases and arrest violent criminals?  Or is it to produce as many SES positions and cushy collateral jobs for a certain few -13's?

I remember the day when ATF compared itself to the Marines, while the FBI was like the Army.  Every Marine is a rifleman, and every ATF agent does cases, someone once claimed.  Well, that's not the case any more.  Too many ATF agents who have found themselves a way to get -13 pay without having to do -13 work.

Great thoughts, but after fluffing up all these positions, do you really think they are gonna let them go?. Not the way of the government. They'll make more. HQ has bloated for yrs. We now have 3 GS-14s doing what one GS-13 project officer used to do. Some shops have more 14s than 13s. If GAO ever does a desk audit, about 2/5ths of HQ Agents will be demoted and returned to the field. They used to be there to support us, now its the other way around. 2 ASACs in very field division where historically there was one. If my math serves me, when I came on over 20 years ago we had 2000-2500 Agents and a Approx. 250,000,000 budget. We now have 2000-2500 Agents and a 1.1 BILLION dollar budget. ????????????????????????????????????????

#545 abteilung

abteilung

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Stop the joke which is the Newark Division and just eliminate it.  Turn all of NJ over to New York.  One less SAC, two less ASAC's, one less DOO, one less Intel Supervisor, one less SOO, one less DTA, one less FIC.  [does Newark have a PIO, while we're at it?  A GS-13 PIO is probably the biggest waste of a -13, especially when any PIO is an idiot.]

Put a few more agents back into groups to produce cases; meanwhile, less bosses is always a good idea.

While we're at it, get rid of Baltimore too.  Turn it all over to Washington FD.  Again, less bosses, more agents to produce cases.

After all, isn't ATF supposed to produce good cases and arrest violent criminals?  Or is it to produce as many SES positions and cushy collateral jobs for a certain few -13's?

I remember the day when ATF compared itself to the Marines, while the FBI was like the Army.  Every Marine is a rifleman, and every ATF agent does cases, someone once claimed.  Well, that's not the case any more.  Too many ATF agents who have found themselves a way to get -13 pay without having to do -13 work.

#546 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

I see that the SAC positions in Atlanta, Newark and St. Paul are now open. It will be telling to see who those jobs go to. Seems like the turnover is non stop these days.

#547 VINCENT A CEFALU

VINCENT A CEFALU

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSAN FRANCISCO

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

That's what I have heard from very reliable sources.

If that is true, the details should immediately be forwarded to Senator Charles Grassley. It almost mirrors the Zapor scenario. Move and hide a failure and then reposition back into management.. In this case they KNOWINGLY promoted her.According to reports, the field division she ran was a trainwreck and full-on mutiny. So how a year or two later is she a DAD? If you have the information I will try to get it to Sen. Grassley. These musical chairs are recycling incompetent managers. And then we keep asking ourselves, why do we remain under the gun. We keep this up, we are going to find ourselves defunded. If they reward Brandon with an all expense paid retirement trip to Tampa, it could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

#548 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

That's what I have heard from very reliable sources.

#549 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Are you saying she never reported to Newark the whole time? Where was she?

#550 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Can anyone justify how the SAC from Ohio was removed for what has been described to me as a FULL ON MUTINY under HER watch by 2 SACs and a former member of the Ombudsman's office, is now a DAD. Isn't that just BEGGING for more Congressional oversight? Come on guys, we can do better. I mean we are not talking just a low popularity, or low level incompetence. We are talking a complete break down. What happens IF she continues to screw the pooch, complaints or allegations come in and that stuff comes out in discovery or during investigations. COME ON. We can do better.[/quote]

Many are scratching their heads over this one. A supervisor who not only shows glaring incompetence, but who is perhaps the biggest bully in the history of the ATF SES ranks gets promoted after being a no show for a year. At least BJ had the decency to say he wasn't going there and retired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users