Letter to Inspector General - Special Agent

Glenn A. Fine, Inspector General, Office of the Inspector General U.S. Department of Justice, Investigations Division 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Room 4706, Washington, DC 20530 Served via Hotline Fax ((202) 616-9881) and E-mail (oig.hotline@usdoj.gov) Re: Report of possible violation of Federal laws and/or violation of DOJ policies and ethical standards by ATF managers and Internal Affairs. Dear Mr. Fine, I am forwarding documentation which is evidence that the conduct of Internal Affairs investigations involving managers within the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives lack candor, honesty and consistently are conducted in a lackluster manner to cover the misconduct of managers. It is my understanding that this complaint has been repeatedly reported to your Office from across the nation. This particular allegation relates to the willful destruction of sensitive government property and the brazen attempt by mid and upper level managers to conceal the willful act. The bulk of the facts are contained in the attached documents. However for clarity sake I believe the following occurred. My U S DOJ badges were intentionally destroyed while in the possession of ATF managers. Upon discovering the destruction of the property, ATF managers in San Francisco undertook a series of actions designed to conceal the damage and enlist the assistance of headquarters employees to craft a story explaining how they were destroyed. When this set of circumstances was discovered, a formal complaint related to them was forwarded to Internal Affairs. As a result of the report to IA, an investigation was conducted. It contained no personal interviews, no sworn statements and no probative questions directed at the managers alleged to have violated ATF policy and possibly Federal law.  There was an inference on the part of management that the Agent destroyed the badges, yet the agent was never interviewed, or requested to make a sworn statement or submit to a polygraph which are the generally accepted protocols. Additionally, impartial eye witnesses to the transfer of the badges were ignored and not interviewed. I am attaching the internal affairs report along with the attachments for your review. If you need any further information, I may be contacted at (209) 595-6803.

Respectfully Submitted, ********* Special Agent ATF Attachments ATF IA Report