#1 mad dog

mad dog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

I appealed ATF Disclosure branch and received additional documents that they could and should have given me in my original request. I also requested my information from DOJ pertaining to my paricular field division, maintained by the AUSA's Office. I spoke with an attorney from Washington Disclosue branch, where my files were sent from my field AUSA's Office. The attorney told me that ATF still ACTS like they are UNDER the Department of Treasury and that is why, typically when an agent request thier personnel files ATF disclosure branch the agents are denied under one of the eight exemptions that USUALLY DO NOT APPLY. The common language ATF disclosue branch uses is, "The informaiton could reasonably be expected to intefere with an on going investigation", in almost all cases if there is investigation of an agent, it is NOT ongoing, after ATF gives the agency the Materials Relied Upon for their decision the agents files are THE AGNETS RIGHT TO HAVE, BECAUSE in some cases what ATF is holding back is MATERIAL to the AGNETS case. Thus, the eight exemptions DO NOT APPLY.

The most distrubing part of the process is that ATF disclosue branch will ONLY give you information that they deem none material to your request becauase the information which is held back under the one of the exmptions is typically the information that is material to an agents cause, whatever that may be.

#2 Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

It is my understanding the VERA/VSIP package has been approved by OPM. ATF needs to get letters out to impacted employees whose positions have been "targeted" as being eligible to receive the benefit. Not everyone will receive a letter from HR. Some will receive a letter informing them they are eligible for VERA (Voluntary Early Retirement) and others will receive a letter informing them of the Incentive being offered to entice them to retire. I wonder how will HR be able to process the paperwork in a timely manner. Before submitting paperwork, those who do receive the letter from HR need to consider their financial situation carefully. OPM is taking 6-8 months to process the retirement paperwork before individuals receive a retirement check. There has been no word on how HR will be able to process these requests in a timely manner. The only way they could possibly do it, is by hiring a contractor to do the calculations. Where is ATF getting the money to do this? How much is it going to cost? I doubt anyone would have any recourse against the contractor or ATF if the calculation was not close to what the retirement benefit check would be. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Here is it the end of August, and no letters have gone out yet. In order for HR to accomplish this, letters will have to be out somewhere around September 11th - 15th. Then you will get 30 days in which to make your decision and get your paperwork in, and then be off the rolls by the end of November 2011. If not, there is a very strong possibility of furloughs which could be anywhere from two weeks to three weeks. If furloughs are not enough, then the only thing left is to reduce funding for major/large contracts or begin a Reduction In Force. I'm hopeful that ATF will not have to initiate a RIF.....because if they did, I seriously doubt they would get it done correct.

#3 Iceman

Iceman

Regular

• Moderators
  • 107 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

DO NOT give up Remember The President ORDERED Agencys to comply with FOIAs, and Former DD Ronnie Carter gave VERY explicit guidance. If they dont comply within 20 days they are liable for sanctions. If they refuse or redact read and USE the appeal process, you will win if you articulate why they exemptions dont comply. Finally, ANYBODY can file a civil action and get damages for failure to comply. A couple hundred dollar filing fee.

#4 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

Mad dog - keep trying. ATF did the same thing to me. They denied me my file, and then when I did finally receive it, it was mostly redacted. After my hearing when I got the complete non-redacted file, they were supposed to destroy my file because a judge found it to be full of lies in their attempt to cover-up my original complaint. Then several years later in yet another lawsuit, I found that they had not destroyed anything, but were in fact still using the bogus file to slander me to all my fellow agents. In my last lawsuit, ATF agreed to a federal judge to finally destroy it. What do you want to bet, this bogus and trumped-up file STILL exists?

It's been my experience that when they start the denials, you better watch your back and keep trying to get those files.

#5 mad dog

mad dog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

Recently I requesetd my personnel information from the ATF Disclosure Branch to include any/all reords, IA Investigations, documents, coorsepondonts, awards etc. After numerous months I received a letter from the ATF Disclosure Brach that stated that they were denying me most of my records, i.e. IA investigations documents etc., AND CITED AN EXEMPTION (K)(2) WHICH ALLOWS the withholding of certain material complied for law enforcement pruposes. They stated that this exemption applies to civil investigations as well as criminal investigations. They stated that the information you are seeking is relative to a civil investigation, and is withholable pursuant to (k)(2) and they also cited Title 5, U.S.C. 552 (B)(7)(A) because release of this information could reasonably be expected to interfer with on going proceedings. They also cited Exemption 5 (B)(5) intra-agency memorandumor letters. I told the ATF Disclosure Brach I DO NOT HAVE A CIVIL NOR CRIMINAL CAE PENDING and do not understand why an agent can't get his OWN records. I.E. IA investigations from past to present.

Note: Several weeks ago a friend of mine who works with the state's attorney's office has numerous cases of mine and received all of my records to include my OLD IA investigations which I received a letter of (reprimand) for the judge to review.

My question for anyone with knowledge of an agents rights for his records under the freedom of informaiton act, is First can they deny your own records for the reasons stated above without any evidence that the agent is currently or ever was involved in a civil or criminal matter/investigation. What is the point of the Freedom of information act when the agent can't get his own records but the state or Federal attorneys offices can get all your information which, you as an agent, can't get.

#6 ProConfesso

ProConfesso

Regular

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Location10-20

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

word came down yesterday don't spend any money, only for gas.....sad way to run an organization..

Yes, attendance must be taken at government day care

#7 nylawman

nylawman
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationnew york city

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

word came down yesterday don't spend any money, only for gas.....sad way to run an organization..

#8 ATFTRUTHTELLER

ATFTRUTHTELLER

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

Sandy,

Always believing there is a bright side in everything;

Those three weeks could be used to coordinate and exposure of the things needing changed. If even a portion of that time were used it would be using their policy to give you time to expose what needs exposing.

I say use it to your advantage.

I dare say anyone in the industry speaks up we get a lot more that three weeks unpaid leave to live with. We coordinate, agents do the same. Now we do it together, simple. Not so simple for current ATF management to deal with.

Len Savage

Under FLSA rules, you would be prohibited from doing anything related to work. Answering your phone, getting on your computer, etc.. Len, I know you have had trouble with Industry Ops, but the criminal enforcement side of ATF (they guys you don't deal with), prosecute more violent criminals than any other federal agency. More jail time per criminal. Convicted felons with guns committing violent crimes. I don't think anyone has a problem with that part of ATF's mission. Without money for buys, informants, mission critical funding, these prosecutions will plummet. HQ will continue on and nothing will change until someone comes in and either abolishes ATF or cleans out the upper management.

#9 Historic Arms LLC

Historic Arms LLC

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

Sandy,

Always believing there is a bright side in everything;

Those three weeks could be used to coordinate and exposure of the things needing changed. If even a portion of that time were used it would be using their policy to give you time to expose what needs exposing.

I say use it to your advantage.

I dare say anyone in the industry speaks up we get a lot more that three weeks unpaid leave to live with. We coordinate, agents do the same. Now we do it together, simple. Not so simple for current ATF management to deal with.

Len Savage

#10 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:17 AM

It is my understanding the VERA/VSIP Package is now in the hands of OPM. They have had it for a few weeks now. No word from them at this point. In the Town Hall held a few weeks ago, Melson indicated that ATF needed about 400 people to leave ATF. It was also mentioned that they needed this many people to retire or leave ATF during the 1st quarter of FY 2012. What is interesting to me is that HR does not have sufficient staff to handle the mass calculations that could come into them from ATF employees who are considering the VETRA/VSIP. Does the management of ATF honestly think anyone is going to consider taking an early out, without having their retirement benefit calculation being done before submitting the necessary paperwork? If HR doesn't have the personnel in the Retirement/Benefits Section to do this, more than likely ATF will have to hire a contractor to do this for them, in order to get it done in a timely manner. That costs money, and its' expensive too! What's more important, is that more than likely if a contractor is hired to do the calculations, the contractor will have a clause in the contract that will "hold the contractor harmless" on the calculated retirement benefits.

It is also my understanding if the desired number of people do not retire or leave ATF, then we can expect to have furloughs up to three weeks. I seriously doubt that ATF has developed a strategy on how the furlough days are to be taken, so that there is not a negative impact on the operations of ATF. Will the furlough apply across the board to everyone, or only targeted groups or areas?

The first quarter of FY 2012 will be interesting. So, buckle up....this is going to be one bumpy ride!

How can they develop a strategy when they don't have enough hours in the day now? So many conspiracies to cover-up going on, so little time. Busy bees they are.

#11 Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

It is my understanding the VERA/VSIP Package is now in the hands of OPM. They have had it for a few weeks now. No word from them at this point. In the Town Hall held a few weeks ago, Melson indicated that ATF needed about 400 people to leave ATF. It was also mentioned that they needed this many people to retire or leave ATF during the 1st quarter of FY 2012. What is interesting to me is that HR does not have sufficient staff to handle the mass calculations that could come into them from ATF employees who are considering the VETRA/VSIP. Does the management of ATF honestly think anyone is going to consider taking an early out, without having their retirement benefit calculation being done before submitting the necessary paperwork? If HR doesn't have the personnel in the Retirement/Benefits Section to do this, more than likely ATF will have to hire a contractor to do this for them, in order to get it done in a timely manner. That costs money, and its' expensive too! What's more important, is that more than likely if a contractor is hired to do the calculations, the contractor will have a clause in the contract that will "hold the contractor harmless" on the calculated retirement benefits.

It is also my understanding if the desired number of people do not retire or leave ATF, then we can expect to have furloughs up to three weeks. I seriously doubt that ATF has developed a strategy on how the furlough days are to be taken, so that there is not a negative impact on the operations of ATF. Will the furlough apply across the board to everyone, or only targeted groups or areas?

The first quarter of FY 2012 will be interesting. So, buckle up....this is going to be one bumpy ride!

#12 Guest_Sandy Davis_*

Guest_Sandy Davis_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

I asked a dear friend to say a prayer for those of you who are currently fighting the "dirty and the broken" at ATF. She sent it to me in an email. Here it is:

Mighty God, we trust you. We believe you are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent. You rule the universe with truth and might and will always triumph over evil, even in high places. We stand on your word and on your promises. We know that where you are there is justice and there is peace, we ask you to be with us now. As we press on to truth we beg your guiding hand. Shine light into every dark place and reveal the deepest secrets of man. Bring cleansing and healing to the dirty and broken.

Lord God give strength to those who fight wickedness in high places. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Bind every spirit that comes against those who seek to do good in your name. For it is not by might or by power but by your spirit that we accomplish our goals.

Let us always follow Christ as our example, remembering that He too was abused by His government, even unto death. Yet He worked tirelessly that others might be saved.

Help us to always put Your will and Your ways before our own that every good and worthy task that we set before us be accomplished in your perfect will. And we give all glory and honor to you Lord.

In Jesus precious and holy name we pray,

Amen.

#13 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

r-1811,

Just to be clear, there have been no spending reductions and will not be any in the near future. All the talk of "cuts" by the political parties and media is about reduced increases compared to what they wanted. It's called "baseline budgeting" which is a carnival trick. You say you want to increase spending 30%, back off to 20%, then tell the voters you cut spending by 10% even though it is 20% higher than last year.

The debt spending will continue unabated for the time being, but that is not to say congress won't choose to place that growth elsewehere in a less controversial agency. Yes, I have Plan B... working on C as well.
The views and opinions expressed by the author are just that. They are not the official opinion of anyone anywhere in any capacity.

#14 retired1811

retired1811

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

I see a lot of wishful thinking in these posts. Remember the numbers given in the town hall meeting where projected numbers before the new debt ceiling law was passed which made even more cuts. Also remember that the law established a super committee to make yet even more cuts. Hopefully things will come out OK for each of you but you would be absolutely foolish if you are not thinking about a plan B for what you are going to be doing after government employment.

#15 Patriot

Patriot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

The acting Director must have realized that a road show sent the wrong message' so rather than travel to every Division with an entourage, he is holding regional meetings with SAC's. What happened to teleconferences? Even regional meetings cost and the perception in the field is that once again money is being wasted. The SAC announced that he is going to the meeting but unfortunately the real message from the field will never be put forth. That is, no one has any confidence in the leadership of this agency to bring us out of difficult times. If ever there was ongoing proof of that, look at the movement of Bill Newell to a make believe position today, and the shuffle that was announced last week. When will there be consequences for inept decision making? Then and only then will some confidence be restored.

#16 Retired and loving it

Retired and loving it

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

More on Reynold Hoover.

BRIGADIER GENERAL REYNOLD N. HOOVER

Commander, 135th Expeditionary Sustainment Command

Brigadier General Reynold N. Hoover is Commander of the 135th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, a deployable theater level logistics headquarters assigned to the Alabama Army National Guard. General Hoover is responsible for the strategic planning and coordination of support to Guard forces. During crises, General Hoover is responsible for strategic planning and coordination of support to State and Federal agencies.

General Hoover was commissioned into the Regular Army in May 1983 through the United States Military Academy at West Point. He served as a Military Police officer on active duty in various company level assignments from 1983 to 1986. In 1986, he branch transferred to Ordnance and trained as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal officer. General Hoover served on active duty as an Explosive Ordinance Detachment Commander from 1986-1988. In 1988, he joined the Alabama Army National Guard and commanded the 666th Explosive Ordinance Detachment. General Hoover’s primary duty assignments include Executive Officer, Fort Sheridan Military Police Company, Fort Sheridan, Illinois; Commander, 142nd Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort McClellan, Alabama; Commander, Task Force -111 (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort Clayton, Panama; Commander, 441st Ordnance Battalion (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Huntsville, Alabama; Executive Officer, Task Force - Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Joint Task Force Olympics, Salt Lake City, Utah; Director, Field Services 167th Theater Support Command, Birmingham, Alabama; Commander, 111th Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Opelika, Alabama; Deputy Commander, 135th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, Birmingham, Alabama. His most recent assignment was Commander, Joint Sustainment Command - Afghanistan, United States Forces Afghanistan.

EDUCATION:
1983 United States Military Academy, Bachelor of Science, Political Science, West Point, New York
1992 Birmingham-Southern College, Master of Arts, Public-Private Management, Birmingham, Alabama
1997 The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Juris Doctorate - Law, Washington, District of Columbia
2003 Army War College, by Correspondence

ASSIGNMENTS:
1. October 1983 - September 1984: Platoon Leader, 410th Military Police Company, Fort Hood, Texas
2. September 1984 - January 1986: Executive Officer, Fort Sheridan Military Police Company, Fort Sheridan, Illinois
3. January 1986 - December 1986: Student, Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Indian Head Naval Ordnance Station, Indian Head, Maryland
4. December 1986 - May 1988: Commander, 142nd Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort McClellan, Alabama
5. July 1988 - August 1990: Commander, 666th Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Jacksonville, Alabama
6. August 1990 - April 1991: Commander, 38th Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort Stewart, Georgia
7. April 91 - January 1992: S-4, 441st Ordnance Battalion (Ammunition), Jacksonville, Alabama
8. January 1992 - August 1993: Commander, 666th Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Huntsville, Alabama
9. August 1993 - January 1997: Operations Officer, 669th Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal Control Team), Huntsville, Alabama
10. February 1997 - January 1998: S2/3, 111th Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Opelika, Alabama
11. February 1998 - May 1998: Commander, Task Force - 111 (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort Clayton, Panama
12. June 1998 - January 1999: Commander, 441st Ordnance Battalion (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Huntsville, Alabama
13. January 1999 - April 1999: Commander, Task Force - 111 (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Fort Clayton, Panama
14. April 1999 - November 2001: Commander, 441st Ordnance Battalion (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Huntsville, Alabama
15. November 2001 - April 2002: S2/3, 111th Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Opelika, Alabama
16. January 2002 - March 2002: Executive Officer, Task Force - Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Joint Task Force Olympics, Salt Lake City, Utah (non-rated)
17. April 2002 - March 2003: Director of Field Services, 167th Theater Support Command, Birmingham, Alabama
18. April 2003 - March 2004: Director Supply & Maintenance Directorate, 167th Theater Support Command, Birmingham, Alabama
19. April 2004 - September 2007: Commander, 111th Ordnance Group (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), Opelika, Alabama
20. September 2007 - July 2009: Deputy Commander, 135th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), Birmingham, Alabama
21. July 2009 - December 2009: Commander, 135th Sustainment Command, (Expeditionary), Birmingham, Alabama
22. December 2009 - October 2010: Commander, Joint Sustainment Command - Afghanistan, Kandahar, Afghanistan
23. October 2010 - Present: Commander, 135th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), Birmingham, Alabama

AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Commendation Medal (with 4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Achievement Medal (with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (with 4 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters)
National Defense Service Medal (with 1 Bronze Service Star)
Southwest Asia Service Medal (with 3 Bronze Service Stars)
Humanitarian Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with Bronze Hourglass Device and M Device)
Army Service Ribbon
Army Overseas Service Ribbon
Army Reserve Component Overseas Training Ribbon (with numeral 1)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Emirate of Kuwait)
Meritorious Unit Commendation
Alabama Operation Desert Storm Ribbon
Alabama Faithful Service Ribbon
Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION:
Assistant Vice President for Law and Risk Management - CSX Intermodal

EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant AUS 25 May 1983
First Lieutenant AUS 25 November 1984
Captain AUS 1 May 1987
Captain ARNG 19 July 1988
Major ARNG 1 November 1993
Lieutenant Colonel ARNG 8 July 1998
Colonel ARNG 31 July 2002
Brigadier General ARNG 19 August 2009

(Current as of November 2010)

#17 Retired and loving it

Retired and loving it

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

You are correct about Reynold Hoover. He is a man with good character, courage, and integrity.

Regrettably, when he did want the Director position nearly 10 years ago in the early 2000s, the Bush Administration chose that boob Truscott instead!

ATF is looking for True Leadership. We'd like to have someone who worked the streets, but was able to go beyond on their own merits. I present: Reynold N. Hoover. He was a Special Agent in the early 90's. He has the LEADERSHIP Qualities our agency employees are seeking. Not sure he'd want to come back, but sure would be great if someone would ask him to take control of the chaos............

#18 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

OP,

Ed may have something different, but my understanding is the 400 is total; natural agency-wide attrition that would go anyway plus any potential VERA and not necessarily 100% agents. If there is such a thing as targeted areas, logic would dictate concentrating on the statisticians, lobbyists, managers, etc to a greater degree than load pullers, but we all know how rare logic is in government. The harsh reality is there is not a government agency that isn't overstaffed and/or overmanaged. At 14.5 trillion in the hole, a reality adjustment is long overdue.
The views and opinions expressed by the author are just that. They are not the official opinion of anyone anywhere in any capacity.

#19 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks Mr. Ed for the info. Here's my question. How effective will ATF be, with only 1500 to 2000 agents nationwide? It will be good that people will keep their jobs, but how much of an impact can ATF make with that few agents? They may want 400 to retire in the next year, but ATF will be losing much more than that in the next two to three years because of mandatory retirements. And, correct me if I'm wrong, much of our time now is spent doing meaningless tasks, such as NICS and adoptive cases, how can we possibly impact anything with far fewer agents? With approx 400 to be gone in the next few months, and several hundred gone due to mandatory retirement, that leaves ATF with approx 1000 to 1300 agents nationwide. I dont see how we survive with those numbers. Is my math fuzzy? Would ATF be better off being absorbed by a bigger, more solid agency?

#20 The Original Ralph

The Original Ralph

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSE

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

i'm not an atf employee but am in the industry. One background stat that might help you is in a DOJ 4 year study done, iirc 1995-98. The result of the 4 yr study found 2.4 million reported incidents (here in the US) of civilians using firearms to prevent a crime or protect themselves. I know that number may feel high (600,000 a year) but i know the number is correct cause it surprised me. The incidents ranged from home break-ins, robberies to being accosted in public.

But the FBI statistician went onto state, in the footnotes, that the true number of incidents is unknown, as the number of unreported incidents is unknown.

I know that report is in the NRA library, in one of the back issues of the American Rifleman, late 1998 / early 1999 and i'm sure at DOJ as well - good luck finding it.

Believe this next item was in the 1996 - 1997 time frame. At the same time a bill to make concealed carry "shall issue" in the florida state legislation, was being considered, there were a number of hijackings, kidnappings or attacks/robberies of tourists at rest stops on the Interstates down in florida. I think it became national news when some dutch tourists were killed in the course of the kidnapping. The Miami Chief of Police st the time, was the head of the Florida Police chiefs association, and was opposed to the bill while the chiefs' association itself was not. He felt there'd be shootouts at bars, vigilante shootings etc so, as president of the association, he asked the association's member chiefs to record any incidents involving concealed carry. One year later, when interviewed by the reporter, he embarrassingly admitted there were no incidents reported.

The reporter interviewed some of the perpetrators that had been convicted in the hijacking, kidnappings, robberies etc, asking them "how did you come to pick a tourist?" (ie was it coincidence or were they targeting tourists), as the majority seemed to involve tourist victims, not Florida state residents. The perps all independently stated "that's easy, we know they (the tourists) can't carry no guns". IIRC, the article indicated he had interviewed 11 or 12 of the perpertrators, all having no association with each other (ie not same gang related) and having been convicted independent of each other. Apparently rental cars carry license plates identifying them as rental cars, and it could be the perps heard them talking another language at the stops and identified them as tourists that way.

That was in the same American Rifleman articles reporting on the florida concealed carry legislation

#21 Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Here is a brief synopsis of what Melson explained in the Town Hall Meeting:

At the beginning, he explained the issue with the Debt Ceiling and the uncertainty of the impact on ATF. Then he went on to explain:

1. It is anticipated that 150 people will leave ATF by attrition in FY 2012;

2. ATF has submitted the VERA/VSIP package to DOJ. Once reviewed and signed off on by DOJ, it then goes to OPM for approval. I'm surprised that there was no mention of it needing review/approval by OMB;

3. IF approved (the VERA/VSIP), ATF plans on offering an "incentive" of $25,000 to eligible employees. It was explained that each of the Directorates have identified (i.e. "targeted") positions that are eligible to receive the "incentive" payment. Not all employees will be offered the "incentive". When (and if it is offered), it will be done on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. In other words get your package in early. First ones in....are most likely to get approved. There was no mention of how this information will be given to eligible employees. Will ATF "notify" the eligible employees, or are we just supposed to put in our retirement papers, and "hope" they choose us?

4. ATF is hopeful that those taking the "incentive" or accept the early out (and receive no "incentive") will retire in the first quarter of FY 2012.....preferably, the "sooner the better". That way, ATF will be able to save money (payroll dollars and benefits).

5. If the needed 400 (150 leave through attrition, and 250 accept the VERA/VSIP and retire), then ATF does not project any furloughs.

6. IF the needed 400 do not leave (through attirion, or retire), then ATF will consider furloughing its' employees. At this point it is uncertain whether or not it will be a few days, to two weeks

7. If the furloughs are not enough, then ATF will have to consider "Reduction In Force".

8. All contracts are being looked at closely. Where necessary contracts are being reduced.

9. ATF management (the SLT) is not planning to cut or eliminate ATF Programs. Programs will be scaled back or reduced (dollars to fund projects).

10. ATF will continue with the hiring freeze.

11. ATF will "only" fill positions that are "critical or hard to fill".

12. ATF FTE ceiling has been reduced to the 2008 level (which I believe it was around 4,500 or 4,600 employees back then).

I hope this is helpful. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

#22 Guest_old school_*

Guest_old school_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

As told to me today by a town hall attendee: Approximately 400 people need to scoot by the end of FY 2012.

OK, they can start with the dead weight employees that show up at 10AM and go home at 2PM.

#23 Guest_old school_*

Guest_old school_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I am a reporter for Bloomberg News, based in Washington DC. I am researching an article on concealed-carry laws, in particular the pending "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011." I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has an opinion on state-level RTC laws or on the national reciprocity law.

John Crewdson
Bloomberg News
Washington, DC
jcrewdson@bloomberg.net

I can't contact you openly but I did not want you to think that ATF agents are against RTC due to the lack of response to your post. As you can see we have other things on our minds right now. As an ATF Agent and firearm owner I respect the rights of citizens to carry concealed firearms through the process of a license or permit obtained by the local sheriff's department. I think all citizens should have this right unless they lose it by becoming a prohibited person as defined under 18 USC 922(g). Of course this right has limitations such as courthouses, gov buldings, sporting events, bars, etc. determined by federal, state or local laws. As a gun owner I hope the Act you describe passes.

#24 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

As told to me today by a town hall attendee: Approximately 400 people need to scoot by the end of FY 2012.

#25 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Is there any information on the Town Hall meeting starring Captain Kangaroo? Any info on early outs, Rifs, furloughs, ATF's demise or big giant pay raises for each of us???

#26 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

True, OP - "desperate times call for desperate measures".

Moebius: If you are reading this, could you please post any intel that may have come out in the town hall re: early out/early retirement?

#27 Jcrewdson

Jcrewdson
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

I am a reporter for Bloomberg News, based in Washington DC. I am researching an article on concealed-carry laws, in particular the pending "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011." I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has an opinion on state-level RTC laws or on the national reciprocity law.

John Crewdson
Bloomberg News
Washington, DC
jcrewdson@bloomberg.net

#28 SA FOG

SA FOG

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationATF'S Never-Neverland

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

It would get highly paid personnel off the rolls at the beginning of the fiscal year so that their salary costs are freed up. It is cheaper to pay $25,000 versus $150,000 plus benefits.

#29 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

I agree Zorro, but then again, these are crazy times. It would make zero sense to me to take the deal and leave oct 1, rather than waiting to go at the end of December.

#30 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

I heard that if an early out option Is offered and you accept it, they want you gone by October 1. And I understand the offer will be 25 grand. In my opinion, this is way too soon. Maybe be out by the end of December, but not oct 1. Any opinions?

Hard to imagine anything in the federal gov getting approved, distributed, and processed in that amount of time.

#31 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

I heard that if an early out option Is offered and you accept it, they want you gone by October 1. And I understand the offer will be 25 grand. In my opinion, this is way too soon. Maybe be out by the end of December, but not oct 1. Any opinions?

#32 Twin

Twin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHeartland

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Captain

I think there is nothing wrong with encouraging people to retire.The problem is doing something proactive to make retirement an escape from a bad situation. Sounds like the makings of a hostile work environment or an age discrimination issue in Boston.

#33 Guest_old school_*

Guest_old school_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

January 2011 DOJ announced (BING) 160 million cut for ATF. This negotiated to about 35 million to be cut from ATF's 1.1 billion budget. ATFHQ advised our SAC that numbers equate to 70% salaries, 20% space management, 10% operational. SAC contacted the Group Sups Monday with budget news, saying the discussions were in regards to potential layoffs of personnel with less than 3 years employment. WH and DOJ have now ordered $110 million cut of ATF for 2012, and expect HQ to provide their budget plan quickly. FBI, DEA, USMS, DOJ are not currently slated for budget cuts, with FBI and USMS to get increased budgets. ATFHQ has mentioned the need to remove as many as 500 personnel from the current employment totals. Furloughs, RIFS,etc have been heavily rumored.
Might it be that severe cuts to the smallest LE agency within DOJ is to force ATF to become completely dysfunctional, thereby easier to shut down, transition remaining employees, and transfer the laws to other agencies within DOJ? Or is this just DOJ and WH retaliating for Melson's Lack of Candor on July 4?
As to "motivate", it apparently means: to make miserable.

I think we are toast. Many republicans don't like ATF anyway because they think we are anti-second amendment. Now the democrat anti-gun crowd will act against us because our ranks (justifiably) blew the whistle on F&F, etc. and ruined their anti-gun agenda which is smearing Obama and Holder. So who will stand with us? With the national debt crisis and budget issues I fear many will take this opportunity to do away with ATF and we will be absorbed into another agency. One of our best assets, the arson and explosives programs, used to help us in these situations. We were the very best, but those programs seem to be fading away with FBI and DHS picking up the fumble. Our reputation and good cases we have done with state and local partners (not the F&F type cases) may help us. The recurring problems with our management seem to haunt us every step of the way. If we are absorbed I hope it is a total shake up to brake the jinx and not just a new badge and letterhead. I would like to put a positive spin on things but its hard.

#34 CaptainWho

CaptainWho

FNG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

We all know that there are hundred of ways that the agency can save money. Such as not sending 100 people to the Shot Show. Or having 5-7 contractors who work as auditors in each division. Seriously if the evidence vaults need to be inventoried there are IOIs that are trained to conduct inventories. Stop paying SATO fees. (This is a huge no brainer) Reduce paper as much as possible. Scan the majority of documents that need to go somewhere else. Again, stop sending people to training when teletraining is available.

I agree with encouraging people that are close to retirement to retire but I can also understand them waiting for the best "package." Everyone knows someone that is waiting to retire because there may be a $25,000 bonus for waiting it out. I, however, am pretty sure that this isn't going to happen. There are so many things that I can list.

#35 Patriot

Patriot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

He has been in Boston almost a year. It took about three months to lose the respect of the working agents and shortly thereafter the supervisors. He is one of those people that believe their position automatically brings credibility. Apparently he never learned that credibility must be earned. The agents in Boston are an experienced group and too smart to accept things at face value. When someone constantly talks about themselves, it sends a message that you are insecure and have a need to constantly prove yourself. Everyone is tired of hearing him bring every conversation around to himself and what he has done in other offices. No one cares about the past and they want to know that he is focused on the present. He is an absentee SAC and that alone sends a message to the troops.

#36 Zorro

Zorro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOld California

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

Doc,

I could be way wrong on this, but didn't the taxpayers just foot the bill to send an entourage to Lyon, France to sing the praises of NIBIN early this year?

I am 100% on the trip - just not that the subject matter was NIBIN.

#37 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Regular

• Moderators
  • 568 posts
  • LocationClassified.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

I can hardly use computers. They didnt have them when I joined this outfit. However, I have never seen an agency waste so much money on a potentially game changing crime fighting tool as ATF has on NIBIN. It is NOT a faulty program. Its has been robbed and mismanaged to the point where it no longer functions. The worst of it, is that those who ignored and sat in the NIBIN chair high five and promote out of there. Much like Joe Riehl has done to our arson and explosives programs. THEY SHOULD BE AUDITED and then fired or demoted.

Dobyns is still a NIBIN Regional Coordinator. My suggestion is he tells congress about this good program being horribly mismanaged by ATF. At a time when the US Govt is trying to save money, ATF wastes millions that could be used to improve the program and agency. AD Holgate should be held personally responsible. I would love to see HQ explain how they have managed this program to congress.

#38 Guest_old school_*

Guest_old school_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Twin's post may explain what happened in Boston a couple of weeks ago. The SAC moved some admin people suddenly and without any input from anyone. The moves make no sense, does nothing to improve efficiency or productivity, in fact possibly just the opposite. Interestingly the affected people are either eligible or close to retirement. Both women are over 50 and a sudden change in office and duties may be enough "motivation" to leave. It makes sense now that the SAC may be attempting to convince them to leave. Why else would he do it at this time when it makes no sense. The division is a couple of months away from a review, but ATF needs to lose people before October 1st. Why would he do it without any input and just surprise everyone. I will say if it proves to be true, I hope his PL insurance is paid, there is an easy age discrimination lawsuit here. He had already lost all credibility with the agents and supervisors, now he has lost the admin staff as well. Maybe he should stop travelling and being an absentee SAC and pay attention to business.

He has already lost the support of his field agents? I thought he just got there?!? What happened?

#39 Patriot

Patriot

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationNortheast

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Twin's post may explain what happened in Boston a couple of weeks ago. The SAC moved some admin people suddenly and without any input from anyone. The moves make no sense, does nothing to improve efficiency or productivity, in fact possibly just the opposite. Interestingly the affected people are either eligible or close to retirement. Both women are over 50 and a sudden change in office and duties may be enough "motivation" to leave. It makes sense now that the SAC may be attempting to convince them to leave. Why else would he do it at this time when it makes no sense. The division is a couple of months away from a review, but ATF needs to lose people before October 1st. Why would he do it without any input and just surprise everyone. I will say if it proves to be true, I hope his PL insurance is paid, there is an easy age discrimination lawsuit here. He had already lost all credibility with the agents and supervisors, now he has lost the admin staff as well. Maybe he should stop travelling and being an absentee SAC and pay attention to business.

#40 GoodWorker

GoodWorker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

This link to the Federal Personnel Manual (FPM) is helpful info reference for any employees that might be RIF'ed. Page 62 gives the priority in how people are supposed to be RIFed. Hopefully things do not get to that point.

http://www.federalha...s/personnel.swf

#41 lancebone1967

lancebone1967

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

Good point. Is there going to be a 2012 for ATF? Thank you Ken Melson and executive leadership for doing us in. And why are you guys still here?

I would strongly suggest that ATF employees visit: www.opm.gov and then search for Reduction In Force. OPM provides information about RIF's and how they are to be conducted. With the departure of Helen Oates a few months ago, I seriously doubt that anyone in HRPD would have a "clue" about how to do it, and do it correctly. HR when it was under OM, submitted an Early Out plan to DOJ and OPM and never included the "targeted positions" that were to be eliminated. If they didn't know what to do, they should have reached out to OPM. Hopefully they didn't reach out to our "illustrious and knowledgeable" CC Office. If they did, we are all in serious trouble. If the head of HR doesn't know how to submit an Early Out plan correctly (she signed off on it before it went to the AD (OM/CFO) to DOJ and OPM, how can employees have any confidence that the head of HR or HRPD (whoever that will be) will have any knowledge on how to run a Reduction In Force? I've already got my printed copy and I'm reading my copy and getting familiar with it.

#42 Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:07 AM

I would strongly suggest that ATF employees visit: www.opm.gov and then search for Reduction In Force. OPM provides information about RIF's and how they are to be conducted. With the departure of Helen Oates a few months ago, I seriously doubt that anyone in HRPD would have a "clue" about how to do it, and do it correctly. HR when it was under OM, submitted an Early Out plan to DOJ and OPM and never included the "targeted positions" that were to be eliminated. If they didn't know what to do, they should have reached out to OPM. Hopefully they didn't reach out to our "illustrious and knowledgeable" CC Office. If they did, we are all in serious trouble. If the head of HR doesn't know how to submit an Early Out plan correctly (she signed off on it before it went to the AD (OM/CFO) to DOJ and OPM, how can employees have any confidence that the head of HR or HRPD (whoever that will be) will have any knowledge on how to run a Reduction In Force? I've already got my printed copy and I'm reading my copy and getting familiar with it.

#43 Guest_ONCE PROUD_*

Guest_ONCE PROUD_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

Before agents receive RIF notices and furloughs, get rid of all the wasted unnecessary support personnell. We now have Intelligence Research Specialists who are not really needed, and never have been. A couple is all we really need per division. Then get rid of the "trigger lock coordinator" (not exactly sure it's called that, but all they do is go to police departments and trace guns). This position is worthless. Put the secretary on part time. The agents are the ones who has to answer the phone anyway. Drop a few of the task force officers. Most I've seen don't do much, but still turn in overtime.

Remember, we only have about 2500 agents, which is the same amount of agents we had 22 years ago, and were operating on minimal support personnel, such as the IRS positions I spoke about earlier. We certainly didn't have any positions which required someone to be hired and go to police departments and trace guns. Why are they doing it in the first place?

Don't get rid of the ones we need, such as the new agents. We can operate with a part time secretary. We can definitely do without a lot of the iRS people. We can start doing our own flow charts. It's not difficult to do when the very few times we need one.

Just a few suggestions for right now. Please feel free to add your suggestions.

#44 Ozark Noodler

Ozark Noodler

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationepicenter of the universe

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

January 2011 DOJ announced (BING) 160 million cut for ATF. This negotiated to about 35 million to be cut from ATF's 1.1 billion budget. ATFHQ advised our SAC that numbers equate to 70% salaries, 20% space management, 10% operational. SAC contacted the Group Sups Monday with budget news, saying the discussions were in regards to potential layoffs of personnel with less than 3 years employment. WH and DOJ have now ordered $110 million cut of ATF for 2012, and expect HQ to provide their budget plan quickly. FBI, DEA, USMS, DOJ are not currently slated for budget cuts, with FBI and USMS to get increased budgets. ATFHQ has mentioned the need to remove as many as 500 personnel from the current employment totals. Furloughs, RIFS,etc have been heavily rumored.
Might it be that severe cuts to the smallest LE agency within DOJ is to force ATF to become completely dysfunctional, thereby easier to shut down, transition remaining employees, and transfer the laws to other agencies within DOJ? Or is this just DOJ and WH retaliating for Melson's Lack of Candor on July 4?
As to "motivate", it apparently means: to make miserable.

chase

#45 Twin

Twin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHeartland

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

Last week the AD told the SAC's that ATF will be in crisis mode for 2012, his words not mine. BIg budget deficit facing ATF and extreme measures will have to be taken to not RIF people and keep operating as we do now. Office space cuts, contract cuts all seem reasonable. The other method is through retirement and the proposed early out incentives. Sources say that the SAC's have been instructed to "motivate" those close to retirement to consider whatever is offered. Has anyone heard the same rumor and what does "motivate" mean.

#46 ATFTRUTHTELLER

ATFTRUTHTELLER

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

This statement is accurate and truthful but I believe your numbers are conservative. NIBIN was designed to be an investigative tool that developed and supported leads for investigators on the federal, state and local levels. The techniques and technology are incredible but the program has been so poorly managed and robbed from over the past few years that it is yet another example of how management incompetence can ruin a very good thing.

Dobyns is still a NIBIN Regional Coordinator. My suggestion is he tells congress about this good program being horribly mismanaged by ATF. At a time when the US Govt is trying to save money, ATF wastes millions that could be used to improve the program and agency. AD Holgate should be held personally responsible. I would love to see HQ explain how they have managed this program to congress.

#47 Guest_Jumper_*

Guest_Jumper_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Chainsaw, your posting is excellent until your very last sentence. This website does not portray ATF Agents, Field Employees, Admin staff, Inspectors, Regulatory personell or a large chunk of 1st and mid-level supervisors or a select number of upper SES management as anything but exceptional. If you look at the history of this site is primarily focuses on a very select few ATF managers who have and are destroying ATF with incompetence.

You are right on the money with your statements about ATF in general, as a whole and in the vast majority. I think it is wonderful that you have the love you show for ATF Agents. ATF Agents love our peers and partners on the federal, state and local level right back. We all know that nearly every ATF Agent wants to go out and do their jobs and join forces with you to whip ass. Unfortunately we have some bosses that are so ill-equipted to run an agency they have tainted the reputations of all of us.

Keep the love and hold the faith. The process is slow but we will be OK and return to that Federal Street Cop mentality and reputation we once had. Stay safe and God bless to you and your partners.

All off you that are upset with Chainsaw assumed that I worked for ATF, which I do not. No Vince, I don't have a $100,000 go along to get along gig. I am a local police officer who works very closely with ATF Agents and my salary is only around $45,000 a year. ATF helps us out when the FBI and DEA won't even return our phone calls. ATF has helped our city by taking the worst criminals federally and locking them away for a long time. ATF Agents hit the streets with us, make buys with us and kick in doors with us (with search warrants of course) on a regular basis. ATF Agents are more like street cops than any other federal agency.

Sandy Davis, I didn't say anything about Fast and Furious or Agent Terry. You are the one who brought the Terrys into the conversation. This website was up and running and the ATF bashing was going on long before Fast and Furious ever made headlines. I was simply saying that ATF is stocked with good agents who do good work and also has those of you who arent happy and may be better satisfied somewhere else.

I am grateful for the relationships I have developed with the ATF Agents that I work with. They are a bunch of good guys, unlike the way this website portrays ATF.

#48 Guest_Jumper_*

Guest_Jumper_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

This statement is accurate and truthful but I believe your numbers are conservative. NIBIN was designed to be an investigative tool that developed and supported leads for investigators on the federal, state and local levels. The techniques and technology are incredible but the program has been so poorly managed and robbed from over the past few years that it is yet another example of how management incompetence can ruin a very good thing.

A little bird told me that ATF Lab Services is still running NIBIN into the ground. Wasted another $400,000 by not shutting down over 30 sites they already agreed needed to be shut down. Wasted $450,000 the previous quarter by not getting around to shutting down the sites they already agreed on shutting down. That is $850,000 in the past six months pissed away. Over $20,000,000 in the past two years wasted on sites that don't produce and everyone agrees needs to be shut down. I heard that Risenhoover complained to DOJ IG and they did nothing. It is only a matter of time till they go after him. The government is broke and ATF can't be bothered to save $20,000,000. NIBIN is a great program and works well in big cities. No one listens and keeps on driving the bus into the river. Why????

#49 ISpy

ISpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

They couldn't do any better than Reynold Hoover. They should BEG him to come lead ATF.

#50 CI***

CI***

FNG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

In the words of Lemmy TOO LATE TOO LATE.... it is so big now, check FOX and growing the ATF is done. Tampa will be where the end comes. Then we get to hear about Texas. By August Perry will jump in and this will be a big issue for a middle America that has always hated the ATF. Buh bye. Budget cuts for the traitors that failed at taking our EBRs... Check and mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users