Cool Hand's Content

There have been 7 items by Cool Hand (Search limited from 06-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#4999 Grapevine

Posted by Cool Hand on 11 May 2012 - 06:08 AM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

Oh yeah, an entire agency can formally call out the executive cadre for integrity problems with no corrective action whatsoever...but speak your mind out of turn...or stand up to a bully...and justice is mighty swift. Yes, Dobyns was spanked in the interest of discipline and good order, but he was paddled by a management club hell bent on protecting their own and willing to LIE to do so at the drop of a hat. Go ahead sirs, cover for your 15's and SES'ers - no one in the field is noticing. And gosh, even if the politicians make you discipline a few executives in these coming months, you'll figure out some way to take care of them behind the scenes.

#3276 Grapevine

Posted by Cool Hand on 05 August 2011 - 08:37 PM in General ATF Current Affairs, News, Policies, Scuttlebutt, etc.

In our troubled organization we have many leaders (maybe even a majority) who are not blaming our problems on poor leadership or mismanagemnent, but on the disloyalty of a "few" outspoken employees. Executive mentality seems to dictate that if our wayward dissidents had just kept their mouths shut everything would be fine. Perhaps our senior leadership team is so invested in the idea of their successful careers (especially with the average of 20 years of service, the loss of their youths, six or seven transfers, two tours in HQ, kids transferring high schools, disenchanted spouses, etc), that they just cannot accept the reality of their failures. Apparently we have no bad leaders...only bad followers. Disloyalty must be our cancer. It is easy to blame the whistleblowers.

#2997 Unpunished Misdeeds

Posted by Cool Hand on 17 July 2011 - 04:56 PM in Hall of Shame

I don't know Sandy, but I will say this: I am tired of hearing certain executives proudly state that they have NEVER been found at fault during a grievance process, when in fact there was some sort of remedy or settlement in which the aggrieved party had to stipulate that the Government is not at fault to receive recompense. I sincerely doubt there are any reprecussions for managers who were the root cause of a settlement (let alone numerous settlements). There are many current managers and executives in ATF (including several not mentioned in this thread) who have cost the Government hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars in damages. I sometimes think that we have managers who rationalize that personnel grievances are an indication of a job well done (i.e. "If the rank and file are filing complaints against me that must mean I am a tough boss who holds people accountable!"). And by the way I am not a "management hater". I am proud to say that I am an abuse hater. I will walk through the gates of hell for a good leader (and I don't mean a perfect boss who never makes mistakes, I mean a generally solid supervisor who operates in good faith).

#2885 Improving ATF

Posted by Cool Hand on 11 July 2011 - 11:10 AM in Archived Posts

Okay, let me get this straight. If those of us who are fighting for change, corrective action, improvement and reform in our little agency had just kept our mouths shut everything would be fine? Our entire system of government was set up with the very idea of oversight, "checks and balances" and the peaceful/democratic means for corrective action (hell, the very reason why we don't have one national police agency is the fear of too much control in the hands of one cabinet level executive and the need to offset the predictable potential for abuse of power--you'll notice that military and intelligence agencies are split up into compartments as well). Those of us who are "standing up" have the courage of our convictions. History shows that speaking out against mismanagement is the right thing to do.

#2863 Improving ATF

Posted by Cool Hand on 10 July 2011 - 03:29 PM in Archived Posts

Well. I am yet another one of the agents fighting for change and reform in this organization. I know what it is to say "no" in the face of "improper, illegal or immoral decisions"...and to suffer swift character assassination, harassment, retaliation, hostility, etc, by ATF executives. I personally know what it is to the do the right thing and to suffer the consequences. I have worked through the proper channels. I have made my recommendations for improvement. I have had the one-on-one meetings with DADs, ADs, DDs, and Directors and the unanimous response was irreversable career dammage. The funny thing is that I remain open to some sort of productive dialogue with leadership. Unfortunately there has been no real "leadership" to have dialogue with.

#2555 ATF's Proposed Termination of Special Agent & Whistleblower Vincent A...

Posted by Cool Hand on 25 June 2011 - 05:12 PM in Cefalu, Vincent A. - Special Agent

Okay, okay, I've got this figured out. If the Acting Director's first priority was to terminate Cefalu at the height of the F&F crisis (with the real threat of indictments against executives and possible abolishment of the agency), his next moves should be: discipline the whistleblowers for violating the media policy...send the former SAC of PHX to Mexico anyways (because, by God, he is behind him 100% and this will all blow over soon enough)...promote the "detailed" ASACs to SAC backfills...promote G/S PHX VII to ASAC of PHX...and...ah what the hell...reinstate the former SAC of Atlanta as the Deputy Director. Sure, this is dark satire, but something close to this will happen. Just watch brothers and sisters...just watch.

#2549 ATF's Proposed Termination of Special Agent & Whistleblower Vincent A...

Posted by Cool Hand on 25 June 2011 - 11:44 AM in Cefalu, Vincent A. - Special Agent

I missed a lot of the fireworks this week...but I absolutely stand with Vince. There are many who build themselves up based on image, but Vince is the guy who actually comes running through the hail of bullets to help a brother when he's down. I know this to be true. "...he's got guts...and guts is good enough!!!" Semper Fi, Gunny.